Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oscarthecat_gw

Swap

oscarthecat
15 years ago

Another great swap. Thank you Gardengranma. Your place is great. So good to see you there Christine. Lynn in Bowie I am sorry we didn't make a hookup on pink daylily. Will pot a couple up for the fall swap. Could use a few Sungold tomato seeds at the potluck at Mary's house this winter. Steve in Baltimore County

Comments (24)

• jane_artist
    15 years ago

Yes, it was great! I dragged my non-gardening husband and daughter along this time, and they survived to eat the fantastic lunch! My husband asked if everyone leaves with more plants than they bring, and after taking an instant to think, I replied YES! Our van was packed full, LOL!

Thanks, Henrietta!

• gardnwatch
    15 years ago

Yes, another great swap with lots of good food. For once I did not over eat.
    Thank you Henrietta for being our hostess again. Your yard is absolutely lovely.
    Thank you everyone for the generous divisions and plants that I received. I'm so glad I got to see most of you and either give you your plants personally or if you swung by my car and you got your plants I am happy.
    Unfortunately there were a few people who did not get their
    clearly bagged and marked plants with their name and mine because someone else took them instead. For those of you that are lurkers or those of you who just had to have those plants even when you saw someone elses name on them, I can only say that I am deeply disappointed that my trades did not get to their pre-arranged swaps. Please know that where those plants came from there are more that I could give away gladly and with my blessings if you would only ask for them. All of us who have been doing this for a while are very generous and are more than happy to share our plants and knowledge with others. All you have to do is ask for what you want. Write it down on paper for the next swap. Do not take something that clearly has someone else's name stapled on a clearly visible bag around it. I had 3 big blue bags with plants taken from my car area. Yes, these are JUST PLANTS but it is the principle of the whole swap thing we do. I had a GREAT day at the swap don't misunderstand me. I am usually silent about this sort of problem and chalk it up to someone's poor judgement, but when someone's name is on a bag and it is taken, that is not an error or mistake. People gave me plants but I could not come through with on my end of the deal and that makes me feel bad. And mad.
    I will make sure that the people who got cheated will get their plants in the fall or next spring.
    It was nice seeing everyone......have a wonderful spring and growing season.

Bonnie

• christinelforce
    15 years ago

Hi! I'm new to this site (and gardening in general) and this swap sounds awesome. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it today because of work. I was just wondering how often these occur? Or if people have "leftovers" they are looking to give away? Or if you know of a good place to get free/cheap perennials? Wow...that was alot of questions... I'm a full time student so I really don't feel like spending a ton of money on plants but my yard needs HELP! Any tips are welcome. Thanks!
    Christine

• rian
    15 years ago

I've planted all the monarda and the shasta daisies and the rose. My friend Sharon was delighted with all the plants she went home with and she wants to come to the next swap too.

Jette, I am so sorry I forgot your plant. I was just totally disorganized. I will make it up to you at the next swap.

Gardengranma and Gardengranpa thank you with all my heart. We had a wonderful time!

• giverny
    15 years ago

Thank you, Henrietta, for hosting this yet again! Was this the fourth spring swap at your house? Your gardens keep getting lovelier each year.

Thank you to everyone else for my new plants, which I'm thrilled with and will finish getting into the ground tomorrow. It was great seeing everyone and meeting some new gardeners. Enjoy the summer.

Mea/Giverny

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

Thank you Henrietta!!! The renovations and new ponds were incredible. My husband was positively green with envy. :-)

It was so wonderful to see everyone and chat for a bit.

LynnT, I will get you your dianthus and Francee hosta somehow.

Thanks again for the awesome swap!

Jen

• foodeefish
    15 years ago

Thank you Henrietta for another great swap. I hope the water lily I gave you grows beyond your expectation and you are able to share it with someone in the coming swaps.

Gardenwatch,
    I had a few swaps dissapear that were clearly marked as well, but I think it only effected a few swaps. It does stink when you dig what you are asked for and as you dig it out of your garden, you feel like your paying it forward and sharing a part of you and then it dissapears.
    I look at these swaps as if I meet one new great gardener to share a bit of conversation with, I drive away feeling good.
    If we all were able to look at these swaps as digging a part of us out of our own cherished garden, creating an open hole which to plant someone elses cherished plants,and then meeting the people who feel just as good as you did when you shared those plants, then I say great!

I believe weather you get a trade for your plants or not, a bit of conversation and a friendly hello is just as good.

For the last 3 years I always think of Sujiwan as I eat the the Heirloom tomatoes she is generous enough to give me. I save seeds each year and have introduced others to Heirloom tomatoes. Sujiwan indirectly has passed on hundreds if not thousands of seeds taht hopefully will be passed on for many years to come.
    This is one of those events that you can pay it forward. And for those who deliberatley may have taken pre-arranged trades that were not yours, Please take good care of our hard work and at least pay it forward and share it with someone.

• ellen_n
    15 years ago

Thank you, Henrietta, for hosting a wonderful swap! Thanks, too, to all the generous swappers. I'm thrilled with my plants and am clearing out a new shade garden. I'm discovering some wonderful soil where hundreds of "ditch" lilies have been holding the spot for years. (Those poor maligned creatures do serve a purpose!)

I'm sorry to hear about the disappearing plants. Is it possible the intended recipient picked it up? Sorry I didn't connect with Annebert. I couldn't find your spot. I'm in Mitchellville if you still want some yellow flags.

Ellen

• sujiwan_gw 6b MD/PA
    15 years ago

A great thank you from me to GardenGramma and her hubby also! Hosting is a lot of work and stress and we all so appreciate that they open their house and yard for the GW Swap.
    As I was out digging and weeding at my farm flower gardens, I have a constant reminder of all my GW friends since so much of what I started with from scratch came from all of your generosity. I have been adding my own seedlings to the mix of plants since last year so I will now be able to divide perennials and pass those too. I am so glad that growing all those extra tomatoes is so pleasurable to others as well!!

Suji

• careyj
    15 years ago

This was my first swap and it was so nice meeting everyone. Thank you Gardengrandmma for hosting. Your home and gardens are beautifl.

Me and my son got everything planted today.

Thank you again

Carey

• banishtheivy
    15 years ago

Thanks Gardengrandmma for your generosity! Your garden is so inspiring.

Does anyone know the name of the beautiful vine with the burgundy flower growing at Gardengrandma's back door?

Thanks to everyone who shared plants and knowledge so willingly - Ellen, Anne, Beth, Darcie, Jen, Kimka, Larry, Leslie, Meipo, Pete, Steve and Terri especially for coming through so generously.

Kimka, the Monkshood is standing tall and proud in its new spot.
    Meipo - my friend was thrilled with your last minute gift.
    Anne, the dogwoods are beautiful - thanks!

Happy gardening.

Mary Jane

• kimka
    15 years ago

My appreciation to Gardengranma and gardengranpa as well as my envy for your sleeping porch and the new swimming hole.

Great food and great swapping.

KimKa

• scausey
    15 years ago

My first spring swap and I'm so glad I decided to come! It was a great way to spend the day. I didn't mean to take home anything, but managed to find some plants that I couldn't do without (not in bags!) and am looking forward to coming to the future swaps with more (a better labeled) plants to share. All my plants disappeared, so I'm glad they were wanted by someone. Thanks to the gracious hosts!
    Susan

• spanaval
    15 years ago

I'd like to join the chorus of people that had a good time at the swap, and thank Henrietta and DH for being such wonderful hosts. Your gardens are looking lovely, and you've done so much work since last Spring to make your gardens even lovelier. It was so nice to catch up with old friends and make new ones, and the weather gods gave us such a spectacular day too.

Pan would like to thank all the wonderful and generous gardening folks for a) being generous with their food donations to a starving doggie and b)not being scared of her big, bad self. If the post is not taken, she'd like to be the official spokesdog/mascot for the MAG swap.

And a very special thanks to Leslie for bringing me a surprise Darlow's Enigma and making my day.

Suja

• leslies
    15 years ago

Thank, you, thank you Gardengramma and Gardengrandpa for your wonderful generosity. The transition your gardens have made over the last year is wonderful and I always love sitting by your enormous viburnums.

Next year, I promise, there will be plastic eating utensils!

(You're most welcome, Suja!)

• busyasabee
    15 years ago

It was such a lovely day to have the Spring swap! Many thanks to Henrietta and Gardengrandpa for hosting our gathering.

To those that I traded plants with, I thank you, and most of all my garden thanks you for adding new plant varieties that I would of never had except through the generousity of our MAG community.

See you all in the Fall MAGSwap.

Jette

• cfmuehling
    15 years ago

I would just love to thank everyone who brought me stuff and was kind enough to be concerned about me. I missed fall for the 1st time ever, last autumn. I don't plan to have that happen again. It was great to catch up with everyone and see so many new members that have happened on Gardenweb during my year of absence.

Henrietta (and Larry)? As always, such a lovely, serene place you offer us for this event. It's such a joy to stroll your gardens!

Thanks all. Great to see you and thanks again for your generosity,

Christinbe

• gardengranma
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the gifted plants, noone wanted me to dig anything. May be next year I'll have it under control and can arrange more swaps ahead of time. I loved the swap but can understand the frustration for some. Next year, may be we should bring big cardboard signs for the cars saying ".........." whatever name we use. May be some of the newbies didn't understand the way we do it. I thank everyone for coming. When you left gardengranpa and I cleaned up and took a long nap. I do have one suggestion for next year: May be one person can bring hamburgers and another hotdogs. The kiddies love those. Everything else was scrumptious. If not, may be someone can make a list of what we do not have and we could get the stuff? What was left (chocolate) we shared with the group home for the elderly across the street and they were mighty happy. So thanks to all. Gardengranma, with love.

• cecilia_md7a
    15 years ago

Hello, everybody - sorry I had to miss the swap this year, but I am so far behind on my gardening that I needed to use all my free time Saturday mowing the lawn and - more importantly - double-digging my veggie beds and planting this summer's crops. I'll probably decline the fall swap if it's held in PG again this year (gas prices, etc.), but I hope to see some of you at MAGTAG 2008 (the annual Mid-Atlantic Gardeners' Tomato Appreciation Gathering) in August. Until then, good gardening!

• crabjoe
    15 years ago

This was my 1st swap and I loved it!! Especially feeding Pan, I think that was the Great Dane's name.

Now I can't wait for next years swap!!

Thanks to ALL, especially the HOSTS for a great time!

• chrismd
    15 years ago

As one of the first participants and early organizers, I was really happy to see the swap is flourishing and attracting new participants. Missed Alfie, Celia and Cynthia, was glad to see Dr. Dirt.

I always learn something new. Someone gave me six tiny Cherokee Purple seedlings in a Dixie cup - I split them out into larger pots and they are growing fine, surprise, surprise. Two have already found new homes with neighbors. I'm having visions of dozens of Dixie cups, an infant army of tomatoes in the laundry room next spring!

I did notice that those who came late went away disappointed as mostly everything had been snapped up or pushed on unsuspecting newbies.

• dawnstorm
    15 years ago

Great swap at a beautiful place! As always Henrietta, thanks for hosting. I don't there are enough words in the English language to describe how lovely your garden is!
    Another bonus: I got rid of all the stuff I brought! Whoo-hoo!
    I apologize for not digging up enough Japanese Maple seedlings. I do have plenty more though, so if you want one let me know and I will get them dug up in time for the Fall Swap.
    Oh, and Pan--you're a sweetheart! I've never met a great dane that was anything but.
    I can tell you don't get enough attention at home ;)

• tropic_of_chesapeake
    15 years ago

Thank You Henrietta for hosting once again. The 'Flying Dragon' and Brugmansia from last year are growing like gangbusters. I also want to thank everyone for the wonderful plants, they are all in the garden and thriving. Someone gave me a taller than me fall blooming plant that I didn't write the name of, anyone have an idea? Most of my volunteers don't really show up until later in May so I'll have to put some aside in the fall to bring next spring.

• leslies
    15 years ago

I expect the plant you're asking about is rudbeckia nitida (or laciniata) and may be a seedling of the cultivar 'Herbstsonne'. I got one, too, and had one in my old garden. It's a well-behaved plant that doesn't need staking, despite the height of the bloom stalks.

Here is a link that might be useful: rudbeckia

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years