Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spanaval

Food for GardenGrandma/Grandpa Appreciation Day

spanaval
16 years ago

It's official! The first annual GardenGrandma/Grandpa Appreciation Day will be held on Sunday, July 17th, at the home of our gracious hosts in Burtonsville, MD. Hopefully, no one needs directions at this point, but if you do, I can post that.

Now, onto the food. I'm sure that yummy food is more likely to generate higher participation.

I'm not sure what I'll bring. Maybe Chewy Orange-Chocolate Chip Cookies. Or some sort of a rice dish, like Lemon Rice.

Comments (20)

• giverny
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure you mean June 17th, right? I need to check my calendar at home, but I'm pretty sure I can make it on 6/17. If Steven can't make it, I'll make his Raspberry Shortbread Bars, which were such a hit at the swap.

Mea

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

Hi All: Why don't we make it simple? You come, and we provide the food. Just let me know how many people might come when. We'll take care of the rest. If you want desert, you might need to bring it, but otherwise we can do it easily. I am not a brownie type, so you'll have to do that. Hugs, gardengranma and granpa.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

I'm coming Henrietta. :)
    Christine

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

June 17th.......hummmmm that is Father's Day........
    July 17th......that is a Tuesday... so which day is it?

Bonnie

• spanaval
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry 'bout the confusion, y'all. It's on Sunday, JUNE 17th. I guess anyone inclined to do any cooking will be bringing dessert then? This ought to be A LOT of fun!

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

Darn, can't make it. I'll be up in Ithaca playing in a major tiddlywinks tournament.

Larry

• annebert
    16 years ago

Henrietta,

Is it blue perennials you like? I will have some Aquilegia alpina big enough to leave home by then. Want 'em?

You don't even have to provide brownies...

• karyn1
    16 years ago

What time will the clean up/feast be going on? If I can make it I'll bring some sort of dessert. I'd love to see Henrietta's garden again. I've been tempted to drop by just to take a look whenever I drive by her street, which is almost everyday. lol Hers are some of the most wonderful private gardens that I've seen.
    Karyn

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

I love absolutely anything blue, because it complements what I have. You can dig whatever we've got, and there is a lot to share. Someone just needs to send me an e-mail a few days before about how many are coming -- the screened porch will be done and we can just work a little and have a lot of fun. I really appreciate this a lot -- you can bring friends, kids, and dogs (if weel behaved so they'll get along with ours).

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Henritta would you like some Caryopteris divaricata seedlings? I'd be surprised if you didn't already have some but they have a pretty blue flower. I also have a hardy geranium that has a blue bloom but I don't remember the variety. Both are still quite small.
    Karyn

• spanaval
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Henrietta, I have a really nice size Aster Raydon's Favorite (also a favorite of mine), which blooms later than most asters, and is blue (according to me). If you'd like it, I can bring it.

This is going to be interesting. It looks like I'll be watching a friend's 2 year old Siberian as well, and may have to bring him along too. He is a young Sibe (translation - royal PITA), and DH would kill me if I left him home to deal with him. He's friendly towards dogs and people (he comes to the dog park, and does fine with other friendly dogs), and should be fine in a crowd; I'm just not sure how much I'm going to be able to get done if I have to supervise him and Ms. Noseypants Pan too.

Maybe I ought to stay home. *sigh*.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Karen,
    if you happened to have enough of those blue things to share, I just started a blue and yellow garden. I would love to share with you if I have anything you'd like.

Henrietta, I just got a couple of anemone bulbs. I'll bring you one of the two, because they're blue. 'Lord Lieutenant' is the name. Thank goodness they spread!

Anne? You be quiet about those brownies. If someone wants to make brownies, you just let 'em go ahead. I'll suffer through them, because I wouldn't want to be rude.

I am looking forward to it. Do we have a time?

Christine

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Christine I'm hoping to make it to Henrietta's and would be happy to share some of my Caryopteris divaricata and Blue Geranium. I'd found out the geranium variety and promptly forgot it. lol It sounds something like Bohemian. I'm so mad that I didn't write it down immediately. What do you have extras of?
    Karyn

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

I will be on travel and out of touch until the Friday before this terrific event (gardengranpa and others will be at the house, but he does not read this column.) I'll check in on Saturday, but I have plenty of food (cook out.) I am so excited, even if only one person came (I gave a party once and out of seven or 8, only one came. We had a 7 hour conversation and were married later. All the other guest were women. Pretty funny how life works.)The answer to everything is yes, yes,yes. If it rains, we can go inside and chat, or sit in the screened porch and watch it pour. Right now I wish it would. It is very, very dry. I will invite the only gardening friend I have right here, but it's like a "housecleaning party", who wants to do it at home and then elsewhere? You should see some of my beds, they are a sorry sight. The weeds always grow best, this year it's morning glories. Thanks again, all of you.

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

Gardengranma is back from vacation. How many are coming tomorrow, Sunday? I want to cook! Otherwise we can do pot luck (I have a lot in the freezer) and salads, may be even desert. The rains have been great but the weeds are monumental. If anyone wants to come and not weed or mulch, that's ok too. I am learning to relax and enjoy the garden, even if not perfect.

• collectordi
    16 years ago

Henrietta, I counted ten people who said they would or might be there. Maybe some who haven't commited yet will come also.

• giverny
    16 years ago

I'm definitely bringing the Raspberry Shortbread bars (Steven's recipe for the ones he made for the swap).
    Mea

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

Sounds lovely. I'll be ready, more or less.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

Okay, DH and I will be there to help. DH will work, and I will chase around a toddler :) We'll try to be there on time!! Christy

BTW, we have a 13 year old pick-up truck, and live right down the road. Can this truck be of use? Let me know!

• LynneinMD
    16 years ago

Dang, I knew I should have tried one of the bars!! I did have one of Suja's orange chocolate chip cookies and they were YUMMY!!

Nice to see everyone again!

Henrietta, it is just under 20 miles from me to you - and about 30 minutes travel time. =)

Lynne

Sponsored