Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crape Myrtles -- want 'em?

Posted by CEFreeman DC/MD Burbs 7B (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 13:30

Hi all!

I have 'Carolina Red' crape myrtles reseeding all over the place. Ironically, I dug my original tree out about 6 years ago!

I also have 'Hopi', a darker red 'Tonto' and some really bright pink variety reseeding.

Seedlings range from 1' to 3-4' tall. They grown 2-3' a year.

If anyone's interested, please LMK. They make great hedges against a fence. Or, they're beautiful as focal points.

Hope everyone's doing well!
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crape Myrtles -- want 'em?

Are they the dwarf variety? I know I ordered some from a Florida grower..some years ago and they all died on me. I do have one that is now 20' feet high for over 21 years and never ceases to stop blooming here in the east around the end of July. Unfortunately, I do not have room for another 20' footer, but am interested if they are the dwarf variety.
Anthony

o

No, they're not dwarf.
I think I might have ordered from the same grower. Many of mine didn't survive, but many did.

Thanks for your interest, tho.

o

I have tried rooting some cuttings from one in the landscape at my office..unsuccessfully. I LOVE the pink, I am new to the forum. How do we do this? I am in New Jersey.

o

Some are hit and miss...when it comes to rooting. I used a rootone powder that i got in home depot or lowes..directions are very easy...put them in a pot of jiffy peat, again they are in those places in the garden section, obviously. In Asia, they grow like weeds. Good luck

o

Do you still have the Crape Myrtle seedlings? If so I am very interested.
looking forward to your reply,
Joey

o

boothbay, a nice thing about crepe myrtles is that they are very tolerant of pruning. I have one I cut to the ground every winter, and right now it is a 6' shrub covered with blossoms. So if you don't have a dwarf variety you can still keep it very small.

o

I'm sorry.
I didn't see these responses.
Yes, they're still healthy and happy in my yard.
Moving them would be best after they lose their leaves, but I can certainly hold them until someone can come.

They're really a beautiful dark pink. Look up 'Carolina Red'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here