Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dawnstorm

Swap security

dawnstorm
17 years ago

So this is what it's come to and what a damn shame (I normally don't swear on message boards, but I am really really peeved!). Looks like I'm not the only one who had something swiped, whether on purpose or by accident. Obviously it'll be a good idea to lock our cars and not have the windows down all the way, but I'm also thinkin of bringing a rope and a pole of some sort to hold it up, with an 'no unauthorized personnel beyond this point' sign taped to the rope. Perhaps we could post some 'rules' about our swaps such as 'make sure that what you're grabbing is actually a free to good home, and not someone's stash or a set-aside.

Comments?

Comments (39)

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

I am so sorry! I would be upset if I were you too!

I for one did not take anything that was "free" unless it was labeled free or I was face to face with someone who told me I could have it. I thought that was an unspoken rule.

When I was having trouble giving away the red "plant trays" I had. I was parked in the overflow. Someone told me just to go sit them in front of someoneâÂÂs car down there and they will get snatched up and they did. Which was good in my case... :-/

I know next swap I will have everything labeled! Including me, my husband and children as well as plants and boxes...

I wish everything took place in a more central location... I felt like I was running back and forth from my truck to the food area to the main swap site I didn't get to talk to people the way I wanted to. DH was in charge of the children and I ran by a couple times to make sure they were doing good but in the end they both got over heated and threw up. :-( My fault completely but I really felt that I couldn't be everywhere eat once. Let alone watching for thieves!

If the location were a parking lot at a park or something like that then it may be easier for people to keep an eye on their own cars and other people/children.

I would like to believe that the "thefts' were unintentional and surveillance isnâÂÂt necessary but...

I dunno⦠How come no one wanted any of the crap in the back of my truck. Lol!

Btw. WouldnâÂÂt leaving your plants inside a closed hot car kill them?

• avoirgold
    17 years ago

I feel so terrible that some people had things taken like that. This was my first swap, and I had such a marvelous time. Often though, it was somewhat confusing as to what was being given away and what wasn't. I erred on the side of caution and walked away if I wasn't sure and couldn't ask.

Perhaps a system would be helpful. Designating the right side of the car as you are facing it for pre-arranged trades, and the left side for give-aways. Just an idea. I would hate for things like this to ruin such a wonderful event.

• scarzi
    17 years ago

I had these problems years ago at your swap. I was most upset about it for a while, but got over it. The polite thing to do is ask first, but atlas not everyone is so gracious.

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

It was my fist swap too so I definitely aired on the side of caution.

I did not think that people were giving a way so many things for free!

But I didnÂt feel it was appropriate to go into anyoneÂs car with out permission.

Most of the free stuff I saw was outside a car with a "free" sign on it.

After everyone started to eat I found kimka ( I got there late) who said that she had a monkshood for me and I better go down and get it before someone else takes it!!!!

I was horrified, excited and .. I bolted down the hill towards her red hatchback whatever car. On the way I found
    Another red hatchback whatever car I think it was kilngod Âs. I was franticly looking for a monks hood with my name on it when kilngod (was it you??) cam behind me with a confused look on her face as to why I was rooting through her stuff. I was SOooo embarrassed but she directed me to kimkaÂs car and I got my Monkshood.

Anyway I think that the general rule should be not to go into peoples cars at all. Anything that is "up for grabs" should be out in front of a car with a sign on it. And to be safe keep all of your goodies inside your car

dawnstorm what did you have in the bin perhaps the kind folks here can put together some replacements for you?

-Annette

• beagler1776
    17 years ago

I don't believe things were taken on purpose. As a participant in five swaps so far, I think it's just an issue of clear labeling & signs... More effort but saves time & frustration later. I used to bring nametags for everybody but some folks balked slightly at this ~ I think it greatly eases asking questions and hope we'll all label ourselves next swap!
    I left a nice transplant shovel & watering can in my truck bed, along w/wheelbarrow w/a few plants by food area. My truck was wide open and full of Ipod, wallet, etc., and I never once worried about anything... Maybe stinky baby dipes kept folks at bay! teehee I did try to leave signs on truck bed stating "help yourself - please!" and trades clearly labeled underneath. Assorted containers & misc. plants can be very confusing to sort out... It's often chaotic but I think MAGers are a great group and try hard to take only what's truly up for grabs. I spent too much time talking and snitching brownies, then erred on the side of caution around unchaperoned plants, thus managing to leave without ANY veggies, despite my intent to claim many. :(
    Still, I do agree that eating/socializing while being near one's vehicles would make it much easier to keep up with communications/exchanges & family needs since folks tend to arrive/depart at different times, and the hikes back n forth can leave one too exhausted to plant at days end... Hate to think of us giving up the beautiful setting to gather around a huge, HOT paved area (especially w/my child running wild)... Maybe everything is a compromise!
    Sorry for the length, but had to come to the defense of this great gardening get together!

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

beagler1776 are your sure your not talking about my truck by the food area? LOL! Mine was also complete with slinky diapers and a wheelbarrow and a few plants. Only I was hoping to find a new home for my wheelbarrow.

I do think it is a very nice place to have a swap And gardengrandma was so very gracious to host it at her home!

I was just merely offering a suggestion .

As far as kids go perhaps I am paranoid but I like to have my kids within eyesight at all times. I was happy that DH was there to watch them while I ran around getting plants.

• juliat
    17 years ago

I hope that any incorrect takings were accidental. I agree that the best way to avoid that is clear labeling. I put all pre-arranged trades in grocery bags with huge labels on white paper stapled on them, with the tradee's name. They all went on one side of my car.

All free plants I put in front of my car, some on a fold-up tray table.

All things I'd received I put in the car (with side doors open so the plants wouldn't bake), behind bags of paper towels and stuff as a barrier so it was hopefully obvious that they were not "out there" for the public. And no one did take them, nor my purse.

I think swap security, in an informal way of appointing a few people to just wander through the vehicles in shifts during eating time, might be a good idea at some point, but I too would be sad if it's come to that.

• kimka
    17 years ago

As far as I've heard, the real security problem was that some plants, clearly labeled with other people's names and grouped on one side of a car, walked off with people who were not the prearranged swapper (except for the blue basket). This happened to a couple of my plants. I'm only upset because I ended up disappointing some people to whom I had promised plants. And I got to spend less time wondering among the other cars. Also some plants that were put in backs of cars by the prearranged swapper were taken from the back of cars. I don't think any purses or wallets etc, were lifted from cars and I don't believe there was any maliciousness involved. That means a few hall monitor types is not the best answer.

I think the problem is really related to our informality and open encouragement to newbies that there are many plants freely available for the taking at a swap. I would hate to see us change our welcoming attitude, but maybe a littler hardening of our explanations is needed.

I think the FAQs needs to have some stronger and more straight forward directions about the two different groups of plants at people's cars (three actually--including the ones a person has picked up to take home). Perhaps adding a curse that taking plants that have a person's name on them will bring on a really bad case of poison ivy. More seriously, I guess each of us needs to put out a paper listing our prearranged swaps and a title that says you may not take these unless you are on this list. The other sign would say these are available, free to take.

I know some people are already doing this, but the signs need to be bigger, more noticeable and maybe on stakes so they don't turn over.

It would mean more preparation and organization for each of us, but less confusion. Or I may go the brown bag route next time, so no one else can see what plants I'm bringing to some one.

I don't want to discourage our new swappers and gardeners, but they do need to have respect for our customs if we are going to continue these great swaps.

KimKa (who is still diligently planting all of the great plants people gave or swapped her last Saturday.)

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Here are 2 suggestions up for discussion to hopefully help in the unwanted and perhaps unintentional taking of plants that are pre-arranged swaps.
    1.Perhaps we can designate a special area to leave all freebie, extra plants and unwanted gardening items that people can feel free to walk up to and take what they want. This area might be in a central area closeby to the swappers,or in a small area near some picnic tables or shade area, but away from the main area of the cars and traders. This way the plants meant for prearranged swapping will not mistakenly be taken.
    All of the prearranged swap material should be labeled and bagged or tagged in some fashion and kept near each swappers car until he/she can either disperse or collect from the other swappers. This way, the plants are not mixed in together.
    I realize that having the free plants in another location will not allow the givers to explain and answer questions about the plants given away, but if the free plants are labeled with at least the name of what it is, and perhaps the gardener who is giving it away... some of those questions can be answered later when the trading and prearranged swapping is not in full swing.

1. Another suggestion might be.....that if we have both arranged swaps and free plants grouped together near our cars, the plants be labeled with either a green sticker for "free" plants..or a red sticker for pre-arranged.
      If the plants are in pots or bags.....they can be "x"ed off like they do in the nurseries with a green or red spray paint spot either on the bag or pot or whatever they come to the swap in.

Will either of these suggestions help????

Bonnie

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I missed the name tags. This is my 3 year, 6th swap. I think. :) It blends togheter.

Better labeling, better communication ahead of time -- and not only to newbies, but to people you bring with you! I brought 3 friends, but made it extremely clear with demonstrations, how to go about asking if something is available, or not. I even gave them "rules."

1) Introduce yourself.
    2) Don't be shy.
    3) If you don't have plants, bring food.
    4) Ask before taking (except for the food part)
    5) Put your treasures well away from that which we bring for trade.
    6) Bring Christine anything interesting or made of chocolate.

Seemed to go well for them.

Anyway, I love being at Henrietta's house. Perhaps Bonnie's suggestion of a "Free Trade Zone" in the middle of the parking circle is a good idea?

Christine

• juliat
    17 years ago

Well, I don't know about you all, but if I saw something I liked, it was good to be able to say, "Why don't you go take some plants from in front of my car? It's my husband's silver Pathfinder over there -- you might like the iris or variegated sedum." Whereas, if all my freebies were in the middle, they might get taken more quickly... well, maybe we could label them "Freebies from [name]" and so forth, so if you want to give some to someone in exchange for something, they'd know where to look. I do think it takes away from the possibility of on-the-spot trading. But on the other hand, I recognize that we need to do something; it sounds like some new people (old hands managed not to do this in past years so I'm guessing it was new people) were lightfingered. And I'm not coming up with any ideas.

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

I agree with juliat if there were a freebie table then everything would be gone in an instant. perhaps any "leftovers" at the end can be put at a special freebie table.

BTW Christine, I missed you?! I wanted to talk to a fellow Annapolitain OR did I talk to you? Lol! I was the blond with the supergirl shirt

Well I am not worried about the people I chat with here. Though the nature of anonymity on the internet scares me. (especially being a mother) it just may be that whomever took the bin was driving along old Columbia road (a pretty big road) and saw a the âÂÂSWAPâ sign and took advantage of the commotion. I suspect if it where an honest mistake and it were one of the gardeners that frequents the forum they would have said something by now?

In fact I would be less inclined being a newbie myself to believe it was a novice. I personally wanted to be certain that something was free before I got it and because I didnâÂÂt know what most of the things were or if they would even survive my yard I wanted to talk to other gardeners and learn.

And the other thing⦠if I can rant some more.. I can understand someone mistakenly taking a plant but a large blue tub? I wonder..

Am I paranoid? yes. I am a mother thatâÂÂs my job! I suppose that we can all be happy that it was a bin that was taken rather then one of the children running around or someoneâÂÂs purse or wallet.

I did have a very nice time btw and enjoyed putting some faces to names. Both people and plants lol!

• lynnt
    17 years ago

I'm not sure if the left-side-of-car, right-side-of-car rule would work; I worked like crazy to keep all my plants, keepers, trades and freebees, in the shade cast by my car, which was all on one side. But I think it DID help that my trades were bagged by who they were intended for, with big half-page labels, and that these bags were in two big plastic bins that could readily be kept separate from the freebies. That said, on at least two occasions I turned around to find that the same pair of newbies (without nametags) were rooting through my stash of plants I'd just gotten -- which were all at the front of my car in the shade cast by the shed. I was surprised to have to say something TWICE to the same folks, even after pointing them at the tub of freebies and exlaining some of the plants there. I don't notice anything in particular missing (though I might not, with 2/3 still unplanted...)

Not sure that signs always help; I overheard BraSpaDya explaining repeatedly that no, the plants with a big "Prearranged trades -- these plants are already promised" sign on them were NOT available...

I like the idea of a "last chance" area where folks leaving early or done trading can deposit their leftover plants. KRGallo left several nice plants in my care, including things intended for other traders whom she had not made contact with; I got some delivered to their intended targets but others ended up finding impromptu homes. Would have been nice to have a place to put the orphans.

LynnT

• oogy4plants
    17 years ago

Gosh!
    I am very sorry anyone had prearranged trades and personal items taken at the swap. The plant taking was surely inadvertent because the swap did get a bit chaotic and there were many new people there it seemed who had come to obtain 'free plants'. I keep all my trades in the car with the windows down and have never had anything taken. Even coming to swaps for several years now, I still have difficulty telling which are trades when everything is outside of the cars. Some of the labels are pretty small for weary, watery eyes to read.

My first priority at the swaps is always finding my traders and making sure they get their plants. I would suggest, even though I know some people come late, that the first hour of the swap (or whatever) be set aside for prearranged trades. It also makes more sense to me to put all the prearranged trades in a central, shady spot because these are more likely to be labeled and it would be easy for everyone to tell that they are not up for grabs.

When the cars are spread out it is harder to get to see everyone and go back if people are abesent from their cars. I thought this year's arrangement at GGs was pretty good and I am glad she has offered to host again next spring.

KimKa- don't worry about the monkshood. I hope it found a happy home.

I must confess, I was one of the last to leave and there were some unclaimed liriope with a trade label on them in the lower field. I took them.

• donnap99
    17 years ago

Just to chime in here as one of the newbies who was there... I brought food in lieu of plants, as I have nothing yet to contribute. That said, it was confusing with many cars unattended and no one around to ask if things were available or not. I erred on the side of caution and only took what I had spoken with someone else about. My humble suggestion: 1) What is being taken home should be deep inside your van/SUV or at the hood side of your car if you don't want to put things inside your trunk just yet. 2) Pre-arranged swaps should be clearly labelled on each individual pot or bag, or whatever - if even with just a red sticker or flag. 3) I very much liked having folks at their cars to talk to and ask questions about what they had and whether it would work for me. I think that would be lost if there was a central "free space."

I really enjoyed the swap, and am so sorry for the folks who had trouble.

Donna in Baltimore

• leslies
    17 years ago

oogy I am so glad SOMEONE took the liriope! I never did see the person they were intended for, although I walked past the cars one more time after lunch to make sure s/he hadn't arrived while I was eating.

I actually felt bad leaving them, unclaimed, on Garden Granma's property but I was sure she'd just compost them if necessary!

A central orphan spot would be a good idea, I think. A central "free to a good home" table may also be a workable answer, though I don't think that would stop people from rummaging amongst non-freebie plants, if they were determined to do so. Maybe a central spot for specific trades would work better - with a hall monitor to check name tags against bags/plants removed? Seems kind of childish, though.

• mirka_g
    17 years ago

Whewn I had the original swap many years ago, I had hoped to do a lottery type swap as that was what I was used to . No per-arranged swaps. every one gets a number and all plants are put into a common area more-or less alphabetically. when your number is called you get to pick ONE plant. for 2-3 rounds each person (1 pick per Family) from each contributing family. then 2 plants per pick, and etc until most desirable stuff has been selected, then free-for -all. I was out-voted by the persons who attended. I guess I am not forcefull enough
    MAry

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I truly disliked the single, lottery type swap I attended. It was rigid, people were very concerned they were missing out (or someone else was getting "better") and it just wasn't relaxed.

Oogy, of course people came looking for free plants. Newbies, Oldies, we all do. The thing is to try to honor the very few rules we do have.

I like the idea of the central left-over area, which should really just be Vlad's truck, because he's still collecting anything he can get his hands on. [g]

Anyway, the newbies are no longer newbies as of this trade. Hopefully whoever was so needy as to take off with obviously arranged trades will read this and not what consternation, frustration and disappointment this caused. Frankly, though, someone who just takes isn't going to care in the first place.

Nonetheless, I like our free from, casual trade format. I tend to keep the trades in the car, that which is available on the back of my truck or in the shade. My own received stuff, I'm putting back in my car.

In the scope of the world, this isn't that big a deal. I'll grow more hosta for Barbara!

Christine

• oogy4plants
    17 years ago

Thanks for the liriope, leslies!

I actually wanted it!

I also think that the problems are minor and do not require a huge change and a lot of effort. Maybe just a little more explanation of swap SOPs and labeling suggestions in the swap instructions.

• janiebird
    17 years ago

It was my first swap too and I thought it was great for the most part. I loved the hosts and talking with people. I brought two and a half flats of irises and grape hyacinths and few other things...and I was happy to give them to people who just wanted free stuff. I have a bazillion of these and it's a good way to thin these babies out, since I can't seem to just yank em out like weeds! But I have to say I thought it was kind of strange when we first arrived. We set up a little table behind the subaru and before we even got our trays with plants out of the car for the swap..the first thing was that four or five people came up all at once asking to take plants for free with nothing at all to swap. I was a little taken aback cuz I expected to swap but I figured some folks are just that way. Most people though were nice about swapping. I guess next time I'll know if I want to be specific I can label things, "free" or "swap". My friend Brian who brought me suggested we just walk around from car to car carrying a few plants of ours to offer to trade with people. I know we didn't take anything usless we asked a person to trade or we saw a big FREE sign on them. It said palnt SWAP not plant SWIPE ...sheesh!

• Laurel7286
    17 years ago

I sort of had the same feeling as Janiebird. This year I didn't have many arranged swaps as I just couldn't get my act together in advance. I brought some extras that I expected to give away, but I also brought a few "valuable" perennials that I meant to use as currency to really swap! There were some new people without anything to swap who swooped in and wanted to take ALL the hardy geraniums (divisions) I had brought.

I don't mean to be Scrooge, but even newbies can tell the difference between annual seedlings and quart-sized perennial divisions that cost $5-10 at a nursery.

And at the other end of the scale was the new gardener who insisted on giving DH and me brownies and peanut butter cookies for the smallest seedlings--thank you they were delicious, and we all applaud your courtesy. (I just can't remember your name AARGH!)

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

Me too laurel! I am a newbie and my garden is very young so there isnâÂÂt much there to trade. I admit I was coming for free plants. But I had arranged it ahead of time. (Thanks again Cecilia! I am so happy about the rose cuttings!!!) But I certainly didnâÂÂt come empty handed. I brought 3 orchids 2 of which my husband had bought me for Valentines Day. I enjoyed their blooms but thought that I donâÂÂt really have the patience it takes for orchids. I thought that I would find a deserving home at the swap. I know my hubby paid $20+ each for them. I didnâÂÂt expect to find âÂÂequalâ trades, but I too hardly got out of the car before someone (she was very nice) wanted to trade me a cookie for them! I politely declined and she looked like she was insulted and crushed. After she realized that they were my only plants I think she understood. Of coarse I didnâÂÂt get an âÂÂequalâ trade but they found a loving home and I got some nice goodies too.

• spanaval
    17 years ago

As far as I am concerned, anyone interested in my plants have already pre-arranged trades with me. All the stuff I bring that haven't been spoken for are free to a good home. I don't expect anything in return for them, although some people were nice enough to remember my wants and offer that they have something I would be interested in. I'm happy if I actually swap for something, get brownies and cookies in return (I can't remember who did that, but it was a lovely gesture) or make someone happy with their new treasure. To me, this is the essence of our swap.

As I make the rounds to check out what people brought, I found a few things I liked, and simply asked for them. I don't think anyone asked me what I have to give in return for them, and I'm fairly certain I didn't offer that I may or may not still have some plants to offer in return. I didn't think it mattered to anyone because it certainly doesn't matter to me.

Thinking of the value of the plants I'm giving away and the ones I'm getting in return would detract from the whole swapping experience. I enjoy giving people my plants, and watching their face light up. I honestly don't think that I can ask for anything more.

Suja

• alisonmd
    17 years ago

I agree with Suja. I brought a lot of plants to give away and stuck a note on my car telling people to take anything. When I made the rounds I also asked for any plants I was interested in and everyone seemed glad to find them a home. In most cases, I didn't think to point out my car or offer a trade, other than those I had pre-arranged.
    Alison

• kilngod
    17 years ago

I had just posted this on the Missing Tomatoes post, but this looks like the real discussion place...with some additions now that I've read more discussion.

Ideas from a brainstorming newbie (who had THE most amazing time at the swap!!)---

I know that I found out about the swap here on gardenweb, and had read everything that was posted. Despite this, and much prep work, I still was a little "scattered" (I'm an artist, this is typical) about where to put my pre-arranged trades vs my freebies & how to get the trades to the people they were due to. I really did like that the plants available were near the person who could tell me things -- great to meet them and to learn, because I surely don't know what a "hyputeria daberlata" is, label or not.... (okay, I made that name up)

Since there were at least several, if not lots, of people that I didn't have nametags with screen names on them (or didn't have tags at all) I'm guessing that some people find out from friends and not necessarily from here (??). If this is the case, it's not surprising that some things innocently walk away, because if one hadn't read all the bits here, they really wouldn't know the ropes at all...In that situation I wouldn't have even thought to look for reserved tags myself, and if I had, I wouldn't have known what "kilngod" referred to... anyway...

We could have a simple paper version of the "things to know about the swap" that was posted and hand this out to people as they arrive? (or have it at a central front location) I'd be happy to paint a sign or anything like that if it would be helpful....

I never did figure out if I was supposed to sign in somewhere or not. Even with my studying, I still managed to miss something....

Next time I might make laminated signs...which won't flap in the wind as much as simple paper...to tag my car and to indicate "these are for specific people" and "free for the taking" areas for my plants. I didn't have anything like that, and the traders that did made it much easier for me when I was browsing. And those that put all the plants for one person into a bag, stapled a big tag over it with "for so-and-so" in huge letters --brilliant!! I'm doing that next time too! It's simply clueless-proof !

Overall, I vote for plants that can be adopted go behind (or in front) of the car, toward the central space, and prearranged trades get HUGE labels (preferrably in the bagged and tagged way) and go either at the side of the car or inside the car. If it's not simple, people won't do it or won't understand it and things can walk.

(And Annette, that was me, bless your heart, I was confused at someone looking around in there, but please don't pass another second even sweating it -- I was as lost trying to find folks as you were, and I totally understood!)

--Tina (kilngod)

• shadyside
    17 years ago

I was another newbie at the swap and sorry to read about all the goings on. My observations: it was a little confusing. I was trying so hard to find all the people I had made trades with and never did find three of them (guess they just didn't come). My husband was worried we were going to have to take back all those plants! At first I felt like lots of people were just asking for plants without offering anything in return--which was OK except I wanted to take home lots of plants too. It all ended up fine and took me a couple of days to get all the new stuff planted, but I think next time, I'm going to make a "free for the taking" section, and a section that needs to be for a swap, and the 3rd section for pre-arranged swaps. And with STURDY signs too. I'm sorry to hear that some people had troubles--there were 2 of us (hubby) so it was easier. But like other newbies have said, I was unsure about lots of plants sitting outside cars, so just admired and kept on walking hoping someone would be at the car later. I think maybe the idea of a cut-off time for trading might be good--NOW IT"S TIME TO EAT announcement. Anyway, as a first-timer overall I had great fun. Thanks for hosting garden gramma--Susan

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

No paper rules! Save a tree or print your own and tape it to your car (or forehead).

The bottom line in all this hoo-ha? ASK!.

It really is confusing for a new person. I experienced the same thing. Although you'll laugh, I am really rather shy in new situations, so walking around helped get me out of my shell.

If you come looking for "equal" trades, you'll truly be disappointed. What's "equal" to you might be less or more to someone else. If it's free, it must also be freely given or it's not free.

There is no need for a cutting off time, IMHO. Things are still left to trade, latecomers are still coming late, and if we rang the dinner bell, the line would go back out to the main road. How fun is that standing in line in the hot sun, not really able to discuss or trade plants? Not for me!

I find it interesting that all the newbies posting here feel it necessary to proclaim their confused innocence. Does anyone expect someone to chime in and say, "I'm the one. I took everyone's arranged trades because they were BETTER than everything else and I wanted MORE than equal value!"

No. Probably not.

So ask. and label. and relax. Your gardens will always make more, and there's a swap in the fall.

Christine

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

lol! Christine.

btw I didnÂt mean to open up a can of worms by giving my plants monetary value and like I said I wasn't looking for an "equal trade" I really just wanted them to have a good home where they would probably flower again.

They did have a lot of value to me because they where a gift form my husband of v-day. But the fact that they will live on rather then slowly die does mean more to me.

Sometimes it is hard for me to not think of things in terms of money because we have to be very careful. I am already over budget with my gardening hobby. Thanks to many other generous gardeners, freecycle, winter sowing.. etc. I think I have an amazing garden.

I admit I didnt have as much fun as I was hoping but that wasnÂt because of my or anyone elseÂs lack of generosity. I got there late and my kids where super cranky.. blah blah blah I felt rushed, my joints stared to hurt.. ( you all donÂt want to hear me complain, do you? I am so good at it, lol!)

Anyway I hope I cleared up the idea that I am the kind of person who wants to receive as much as they give. Did I? I donÂt even know if this post made scene to anyone other then me..

• kilngod
    17 years ago

I'm proclaiming my bits of confusion in order to suggest general, specific, or otherwise possible additions / improvements to the system. I studied well beforehand, and it is my nature to find solutions to problems.

The kinds of comments I made above, including the suggestions, are part of the process of becoming part of this wonderful group. I'm not sure that you intended to seem exclusionary with the statement "I find it interesting that all the newbies posting here feel it necessary to proclaim their confused innocence", though this reads as very Us and Them. I must insist that I do feel it necessary to participate if I'm going to participate. And that means contributing, which is what I was doing above with my observations and suggestions. Asking doesn't always work even though it sounds simple enough, because someone's not at their car...they're off looking at plants somewhere or delivering a trade, or eating...so I agree we must label, label, label.

I thought it a good thing to chime in, since oftentimes as we become "regulars" in a given arena, we forget what the glitchy things are for the beginners. It's a good thing that beginners are giving input. If everyone knows better (as in "we tried that 4 yrs ago and it didn't help, and caused this other problem"), then folks can say so. The comment above makes us newbies feel like we should keep our keyboards quiet, because otherwise we look like we're making excuses for being guilty... At least that's how I instantly felt (and refused to continue that unwarrented "felt").

I'll be coming to the Fall swap, with big reusable wind-resitant signs, Bagged-n-Tagged trades, and hopefully a lot better rhythm of getting trades out and wandering around. The Zone-n-Sign system will work for me.

(Feel free to kick over a few of my plants if I just ruffled feathers. It needed to be said.)

--Tina

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

Tina,

I donÂt think Christine meant to make you, me or any other newbie feel bad. It is interesting how when statements are made in writing on an internet forum they can be interpreted in a number of different ways. I honestly thought of it as a lighthearted joke. All part of the process for us newbies becoming part of the group.

I can however see your point. It does sort of seem like an "Us and Them" mentality in some of the statements throughout thread.

You make a lot of good points and I really appreciate you posting them!!!

I certainly donÂt think anyone should keep quiet. The board is usually so dead anyway! I think this thread is the most interesting thing that has happened in a while! Lol!

-Annette

• treehouse
    17 years ago

At the very first swap I attended I had all the newbie insecurities. And, at the first swap we were all newbies. Imagine the angst suffered that day, but there is something about talking plants and eating brownies that made us instant comrades in crime(BTW, that was the first of many police visits) so our comfort level now is really obvious.

That first swap I was offered a HUGE acuba. I mean huge, so big I felt I had nothing 'valuable' enough to trade for it, and I said so. The person said to take it and enjoy it because he didn't want to have to compost them when he got them home. I am sure my eyes bugged out of my head because I saw $$$$$$$ and he saw PITA plant extras. We all have preconcieved notions about even and proper.

There is no 'Us and Them' really. I see it as 'New at Trading and Been There and Loved It'.

The suggestions for location of plants, labeling, and asking are the best solutions for the day. Signs, signs big signs. Come back feel comfortable and bring signs.

Jan, who didn't have a name tag on her and her guests, but had her plants labeled

• kilngod
    17 years ago

Thanks All, I feel much better about "all that" and have gotten my panties out of that wad they were in. I had such a good time at the swap, and can't wait to do it all again come fall. (Christine, I like your fire, even if it was rattling my chain.)
    --Tina

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

I think " asking and labeling and relaxing" are all great suggestions for enjoying the swaps.
    I would hope to think that we ALL come to this swap to RELAX. What has made this swap successful in the past was the relaxed atmosphere amongst new and familiar acquaintances.
    This may seem negative, but I don't think it is possible to deliver plants to the people you have made pre-arranged trades with, stand by your car and make new trades with the extra plants you have brought, answer/ask questions from new and old gardening friends, do all this at the same time and hope to do all this without possible loss of plants that were intented to go to others when there are new people and visitors at the swap that don't understand how things work.
    For this reason I think as Kilngod( Tina) suggested it is a great idea to have a few basic rules/guidelines put on paper to be placed on a table along with blank nametags to be filled out when arriving. I love giving plants away too, but I can see why some of us might get a bit upset when plants are taken that were set aside for someone else.
    While I don't think that has become a major problem for most of us who have been doing this for years, there are enough people here who have expressed discontent with the way things went this spring. Forget about saving a tree( I loved that Christine ; ) for its paper for one day.....and let's specify a few basic rules, have them in writing and available at the swaps and posted here so everyone is on the same page, and inform the uninformed so there are fewer unhappy swappers in the fall.
    This swap and its popularity is only going to get bigger and that is what we want...so let's come up with some agreed upon guidelines to publish and encourage.

Bonnie

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

So if you guys recall, I mentioned I also felt the confusion as a Newbie, but now, having attended a swap the status of Newbie is no longer permitted for you.

If you really had a momentary flash of Us and Them, remind yourself you're now a Them.

Although I know it was really not intended to be so, I did feel shades of some protesting too much. Seriously, though. In the scope of things, if someone gets their undies all bunched up about trades missing? They need to 1) get another hobby, and 2) be greatful if this is the worst thing that happens to them on that day.

I feel sad for those who intentionally took labeled plants. As this thread cleary indicates, even Newbies can read the darned labels and not take things that don't belong to them.

The thief is building kharma, so we have to have faith in that. Kind of like I know the Universe will smote the thief who stole the money from our yoga studio. Not only do they obviously need yoga, they also need a big Universal kick in the butt, because there is no rationalizing or justifying stealing when things are freely given. But I have faith that either they'll run out of gas in the rain and no one will help them, or the rain will avoid their gardens all season.

Speaking of freely given, Annette, it wasn't just at you! Remember guys, some things apply to the whole; it might not be about you! But having struck a nerve, I do agree that plants = $$$. And one man's treasure is another's trash. That's how I ended up with 6000 Freecycle bricks. But we all grow plants and we'll all have enough to trade.

When Brubeck's hosta were taken from my stash? She shrugged and said, "There's always the fall!"

Ain't it d'trut?

Christine

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

With different backgrounds, experience and judgement, swaps are just a little subset of 'real life.' So some folks will make decisions on what seems ok to them, and be out of line with what the majority find acceptable. Maybe we should just focus on sharing good manners - and that may be in the form of guidelines/'rules' for those who wouldn't otherwise understand the best way to go about enjoying a Swap.

Does anyone remember the year that Charles brought his albino Hosta to a swap just to show it off? Charles has since moved, but was a landscaper/gardener and would fill his truck to the brim with plants to give away freely. His albino hosta was taken from the truck. Fortunately, he found a woman walking down the road with it and was able to get it back. It seemed like an innocent mistake/poor judgement/not checking first. I just don't want to think that people who are gardeners would intentionally take something that was not their's to take.

• treehouse
    17 years ago

Cynthia, I talked with Charles after he got the hosta back. The person who took it really 'took it'. She had asked to buy it and he refused. Then it was gone! I am glad he got it back.

I thought he wasn't coming to the swaps because of the hosta incident, but I am glad to find out that he has moved. Not glad that he moved, but glad that the theft wasn't the reason he stopped coming to swaps.

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Are you talking about Charles who lived in Baltimore City? I wondered what happened to him. Where did he move to?

• treehouse
    17 years ago

Yes, Blueangel Charles. He's the one.

There is a Blueangel on 'the garden forums'. Is he the same one?

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Yes, same one. He moved to Oregon. Our loss! I would expect the albino hosta succumbed that same summer. No chlorophyll for photosynthesis...

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!