Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slatemen

Red Oak transplant - tiny, tiny leaves

Slatemen
10 years ago

I canâÂÂt seem to post to the trees forum, so IâÂÂm going to try here. In mid-March, I planted large-ish Red Oak (15â tall / 2-3 inch trunk) purchase from a reputable nursery. It was admittedly large for a transplant, but IâÂÂm hoping to block out a second story view from a new neighbor into my yard.
Since that time IâÂÂve tended to the tree as carefully as I can, watering thoroughly every other day with a bit of fertilizer (but nothing too intense) from time to time. ItâÂÂs been mulched and staked.

In late April tiny leaves began to appear at the tips of the branches. However, a month has gone by and while I have plenty of these tiny, tiny leaves on tips of each branch and a few on the length of the branches, the leaves have not grown to a normal size. The leaves themselves are still green and healthy looking and other shoots are appearing here and there, but they look like something youâÂÂd see on a bonzi tree. Other, mature Red oaks in the area seem to have all of their full sized leaves at this point.

I planted a similar sized Sycamore and Red Maple at the same time, both of which have developed normally. A nearby Swamp White Oak, which must be no older than 1 year (about 9 inches tall), has about a dozen full sized leaves on it.

The nursery tells me not to worry, but IâÂÂd like a second opinion. Should I be worried, or are teeny, tiny leaves a symptom of the transplant process.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor