Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed

Posted by kelly21409 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 15:08

Can anyone recommend a colorful perennial flower or non flowering plant that will show color most of the summer in Maryland. I have some mostly shaded areas in which the previous homeowner planted holly and other green shrubs.

There's a fair amount of tree shade but all the areas get at least a few hours of sun.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Frank Kelly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking to add long blooming color to MD flower bed

depends on what size you are talking about. there is Corydalis lutea, which blooms all summer, foliage plants such as the colorful Heucheras, Hostas (watch of for deer), Hakonechloa grass, and don't forget Hydrangeas.
painted ferns, black ophiopogon, there are tons of things to make it interesting. Check out fine foliage website.

o

With that kind of shade, you could also do some Japanese Maples. Choose your mature size carefully, but there are some dwarfs that have gorgeous leaves and bright yellow or red back.

Hellebores. Some of the beautiful, silver heucheras would bring light into the garden. I'm also thinking Peris, (so beautiful), Boy, the world is your oyster!

o

My agastache (hyssup) bloomed all summer with only morning light. They come in various colors and are available at most nurseries.

My japanese maples have very nice color---depending on the cultivar--in the shade.

A nice ground cover--15-18 inches tall--verigated solomon seal. Looks fresh all summer in the shade, under my japanese maple.

o

You want to plant some Caladiums. Serious large shady color. But treat them as annuals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here