Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated Mock orange experiences

Posted by janetm_md Z7a (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 15:29

I'm seriously considering getting one of these. I called over to Behnkes to see if they carried them and the salesperson said they'd likely be getting them in later in the Summer but they were finding that Variegated Mock oranges don't perform very well in our area. Does anybody else have experience with them and care to comment on how they do for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated Mock orange experiences

I can't tell you about variegated ones like 'Innocence' but I can tell you that the mature one that was in my yard when I bought the house is in full bloom now and the scent is pretty wonderful. Like gardenia, and smellable from the other end of the garden. The shrub is very healthy and tolerant of NoVA weather.

o

• Posted by suja z7 noVA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 07 at 14:20

I have one with Chartreuse leaf that did nothing but grow for 3 years, had no scent on the couple of flowers it did produce, but has finally burst forth into bloom and is perfuming the yard. Visitors are catching a whiff of it and asking to see what's producing that glorious scent. The 'regular' mock orange OTOH, hasn't bloomed yet.

o

I have 'Innocence' that I got from Park's a couple or 3 years ago. It was very small when I got it and now it's maybe 4 feet tall. It's blooming now and smells great. My only complaint about it is that the leaves aren't very colorful. Only a small percentage of them are variegated.

o

Janet! You - variegated anything?!! What's next? Ornamental kale? (I have the salad dressing standing ready LOL!!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here