Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

Who took Janet's tomatoes?

cecilia_md7a
17 years ago

I put a small white container of 5-6 tomato plants in front of JanetM's car yesterday - right between her freshly dug magenta yarrow and northern oat grass - while most of us were on our way back to Henrietta's house for lunch. When Janet got back to her car, the yarrow and oat grass were there, but the tomato plants were gone. From reading some of the other posts, it sounds like this was not the only questionable "trade" going on at the swap.

Luckily, I have a few extras for Janet that I will give her next week - but needless to say, we are both a little miffed. I certainly hope this was a case of somebody mistakenly thinking the plants were giveaways.

Other than that, I thought the swap was fantastic and I had a great time!

Comments (8)

• spanaval
    17 years ago

Since this seems to be a recurring theme, I figured I would suggest this. Don't know how practical it is for other people. I keep all the pre-arranged swap stuff and stuff I've received, inside my car. With the doors closed. It is a bit of a pain, because you now have to hunt down all the people you're swapping with, but I haven't had things disappear on me yet.

Suja

• foodeefish
    17 years ago

Suja,

I even put what I swapped in the front of my vehicle because last year plants myseriously dissapeared when I had them clearly marked.
    It's a shame.

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

I think our plants will be OK if we keep the windows cracked open enough for air. I would also suggest one of those windshield shields that keeps the sun out.

• busyasabee
    17 years ago

I agree with Suja. I put all the plants that were given to me inside my truck; left all the windows rolled down. All the "freebies" that I gave away I placed in buckets/boxes in front of truck. Also, all the pre-arranged trades were clearly labeled and separated in a box away from my freebies.
    I had to leave early, but I left a box full of freebies (anemones, yarrow). Hopefully, people were able to adopt them and give them homes.

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Here are 2 suggestions up for discussion to hopefully help in the unwanted and perhaps unintentional taking of plants that are pre-arranged swaps.
    1.Perhaps we can designate a special area to leave all freebie, extra plants and unwanted gardening items that people can feel free to walk up to and take what they want. This area might be in a central area closeby to the swappers,or in a small area near some picnic tables or shade area, but away from the main area of the cars and traders. This way the plants meant for prearranged swapping will not mistakenly be taken.
    All of the prearranged swap material should be labeled and bagged or tagged in some fashion and kept near each swappers car until he/she can either disperse or collect from the other swappers. This way, the plants are not mixed in together.
    I realize that having the free plants in another location will not allow the givers to explain and answer questions about the plants given away, but if the free plants are labeled with at least the name of what it is, and perhaps the gardener who is giving it away... some of those questions can be answered later when the trading and prearranged swapping is not in full swing.

1. Another suggestion might be.....that if we have both arranged swaps and free plants grouped together near our cars, the plants be labeled with either a green sticker for "free" plants..or a red sticker for pre-arranged.
      If the plants are in pots or bags.....they can be "x"ed off like they do in the nurseries with a green or red spray paint spot either on the bag or pot or whatever they come to the swap in.

Will either of these suggestions help????

Bonnie

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I like the former suggestion, although anyone who chooses to ignore labels is still going to help themselves.

Kind of sad. I can't help but think it's unfair to hold the newbies responsible, since this isn't the 1st time this has happened. I wish we could expect each other to respect trades! We all go to a lot of trouble to put things together for each other, to fill a simple little plant desire. What's up with someone just grabbing? It's not like there isn't enough for everyone!

Sorry. A small rant.
    Christine

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The thing that bugs me most about the tomato theft is the fact that it happened at lunchtime, when the cars in the area were unattended.

• kilngod
    17 years ago

Ideas from a brainstorming newbie (who had THE most amazing time at the swap!!)---

I know that I found out about the swap here on gardenweb, and had read everything that was posted. Despite this, and much prep work, I still was a little "scattered" (I'm an artist, this is typical) about where to put my pre-arranged trades vs my freebies & how to get the trades to the people they were due to. I really did like that the plants available were near the person who could tell me things -- great to meet them and to learn, because I surely don't know what a "hyputeria oblingata" is, label or not.... (okay, I made that name up)

Since there were at least several, if not lots, of people that I didn't have nametags with screen names on them (or didn't have tags at all) I'm guessing that some people find out from friends and not necessarily from here (??). If this is the case, it's not surprising that some things innocently walk away, because if one hadn't read all the bits here, they really wouldn't know the ropes at all...In that situation I wouldn't have even thought to look for reserved tags myself, and if I had, I wouldn't have known what "kilngod" referred to... anyway...

We could have a simple paper version of the "things to know about the swap" that was posted and hand this out to people as they arrive? (or have it at a central front location) I'd be happy to paint a sign or anything like that if it would be helpful....

I never did figure out if I was supposed to sign in somewhere or not. Even with my studying, I still managed to miss something....

Next time I might make laminated signs to indicate "these are for specific people" and "free for the taking" areas for my plants. I didn't have anything like that, and the traders that did made it much easier for me when I was browsing. And those that put all the plants for one person into a bag, stapled a big tag over it (so that bag couldn't just be opened and perused) with "for so-and-so" in huge letters --brilliant!! I'm doing that next time too!

--Tina (kilngod)

Sponsored