Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ididit_gw

MAG Swap April 30 - Mystery Plant Solved....Vlad?

ididit
18 years ago

There was a lady who was giving away a plant that looked something like Bamboo. Nobody could identify it. I just got an answer about it. It is a Japanese knotweed - very invasive. I don't have the email of the lady who had it, but I am sure she gave one to Vlad and a couple other people. So, hope this solves a mystery for you..

Christine

Comments (6)

• vladpup
    18 years ago

G'Day!
    You mean the stuff that looked a bit like nandina but with thick, fleshy stems like pokeweed? Eeeek!

i believe it was from DawnStorm.

Invasive as in "good for very bad soil areas, such as between pasture and road," or invasive as in "Like gooseneck loosestrife (who did the cute typo last year, "looseneck goosestrife"?), this is to be irradicated wherever it is seen before it totally swamps all our native spiecies"?

i must confess, mine isn't in the ground yet. Is it safe to keep as a container plant? (The cold, wet weather has been dancing on my arthritis, so there are still a dozen (out of near to a thousand, if one counts every little seedling) swap plants i have to plant. Naturally, my Edible Landscaping order arrived during the middle of the rain. Two oriental persimmons: planted. Kiwis "Dumbarton" and "Anna": will go in today.)

Happy gardening,
    -vlad

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

Oh, no - UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU PLANT JAPANESE KNOTWEED! When DH and I moved into our house 12 years ago, the area of our yard near our neighbor's fence was a bamboo-like jungle of the stuff. I'm STILL weeding it out! Although it's pretty easy to pull out, it has fleshy running roots that break very easily. And, of course, any one of these rhizomes can sprout a new stalk! It is a true thug - the only weed that causes me as much trouble is bindweed.

FYI, It is the #1 most invasive exotic plant in the UK.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Knotweed

• laine713
    18 years ago

I got some last year from my neighbor, and so far it is not too invasive. Last year, she had about a dozen suckers and this year, I haven't seen too many. We cut it back once a year.

• susanargus
    18 years ago

Icky!
    "Although not yet a serious pest in Virginia natural habitats, the presence of Japanese knotweed is of great concern. Experience in other states where it is a serious pest suggests that the best control method is prevention of establishment. The plant should be eradicated as early as possible upon its appearance. Cutting the stalks as often as three times during the growing season will offset growth of the rhizomes. Cutting followed immediately by application of a glyphosate herbicide has been found to be most effective. This should be done in late August through September when plants are translocating material to their root system for the winter. Several years of treatments may be needed to ensure that the rhizomes have been exterminated."

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Alien Plant Species of Virginia - Japanese Knotweed

• vladpup
    18 years ago

G'Day!

i "planted" mine in a black pastic bag and am poaching it in the sun to be sure it is dead, dead, dead. i have enough problem with pokeweed, perilla, Japanese honeysuckle, English ivy, poisen ivy, Lady's Thumb, and other weeds not to want to add another to the neighborhood!

Thanks for the alert!
    -v.

• dawnstorm
    18 years ago

Thank you!! Mystery Shrub is no longer a mystery shrub! That said, I'm not going to totall eradicate it from my lawn, but I do need to cut it back/downsize it. It came with the house and we've been there since 1992.

Sponsored