Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good nursery for buying evergreens

Posted by alina_1 (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 16:07

We just bought a house (our first single family home). The lot is not large and surrounded by 4 neighbours' yards. I would like to plant some conifers and Hollies for privacy. Can anyone recommend a good nursery where I can buy them at a reasonable price (with delivery and planting)? I live in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, MD.
BTW, what would be the reasonable price for 5-6' spruces? In our local nursery (Potomac Garden Center) they are about $200 per tree.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
TIA,
Alina.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good nursery for buying evergreens

Alina,

There is also a place called Potomac Garden center in Frederick County, but I don't think it's related. Their prices are better than many I've seen on shrubs, though I can't quote you any prices. Might be worth a trip up 270. They're right off exit 26, take the Buckeystown direction.

o

If you are looking for pretty common plants, Meadows Farms usually has a decent selection and various sizes to pick from. There is a nursery up toward Baltimore that has a bunch of hollies...but I cannot think of the name...somebody else might. I know that they have a couple of their own holly introductions.

- Brent

o

Alina,
Brent is right -- McLean Nursery is excellent for hollies. It's just off the Baltimore Beltway at 9000 Satyr Hill Rd., Parkville, MD, phone 410-882-6714. If you want some unique hollies, boxwood, etc., that's the place to go, even if you plant them yourself. Their 'Satyr Hill' is popular, but my own favorite of theirs is 'Lassie' -- just a gorgeous holly. This is an interesting nursery because you can see what many of the cultivars look like when full grown.

If you would like to try somewhere closer to Gaithersburg for delivery, you might try Sun Nursery in Cooksville. This is quite close to Rt. 97 and to I-70 and has a good choice of evergreen shrubs and trees with a large delivery area. The actual address is 14790 Bushy Park Road, and the phone numbers are (410) 442-2090 or (301) 854-6107 or (301) 829-3300. The website is http://www.sunnurseries.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: More about the cultivars at McLean

o

Thank you very much for your recommendations! I will definitely visit these nurseries. I wish I had more time with the moving to the new home.
Do you think it's safe to plant hollies and spruces in such hot weather as now? I am anxious to start growing them, but if they will suffer from the late planting I'd rather wait until fall.
Alina.

o

alina - you might be better off living in the house for a while before planting. You will have a better idea of exactly what areas need to be screened and which views don't really bother you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here