Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwiggin3

Community Gardens?

dwiggin3
18 years ago

I'm in the N.VA area...Arlington to be exact.

Depending on how my gardening does this year (so far, I'm anxious and frustrated!)...I might be interested in some space in a community garden.

Is anyone familiar with how they work? Where to find one? What the cost is? How space is allotted?

Thanks

Darby

Comments (9)

• rico_md
    18 years ago

Darby,

Check with the parks department and local garden clubs. MNCPPC use to rent out plots in Watkins Regional Park in PG Co. I doubt that any farms remain in Arlington but that is another source. I rent a plot on an old farm in central Prince Georges Co. I pay the farmer $55 to garden there for a season. My plot is huge for my tastes. It's 25' X 200' and that's half a plot. Every spring he tills the land and divides it into plots. He's pretty accurate in his division because I've had (more or less) the same plot for 5 years now. He keeps a record of who gardens there and calls us every year to see if we want the same plot or a different one. There's 50-100 gardeners there.

-Rico

• reginak
    18 years ago

Wow, Rico, that's such a neat idea! What's the name of the farm? It'll be a LONG time before I max out my own space, but I think it's a neat idea and I might know some others who'd be interested.

Regina

• dwiggin3
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rico,
    Good idea...here is the catch. I called Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria...no community gardens.

Where can I find gardening clubs?...I've looked at the local nursery for postings, and at the market etc...thoughts?...I should be simple to find them, but.....

Thankjs

• lrobins
    18 years ago

I found this information about community gardens on the Green Spring Gardens web site (It appears that the Fairfax County official you spoke with was ill-informed):

"Fairfax County has community garden plots in nine locations. Citizens may rent a 20' x 30' garden plot for the calendar year. There is a waiting list for most locations.

Renting a Plot

* The rental period is from January 1, 2004 through December 31, 2004. [They didn't update this sentence] Annual fees will not be pro-rated or refunded and checks should be made payable to the Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA).
    * Plots are rented on a first-come first-served basis in the condition they were left by the previous renter. If there are no plots available at your preferred location, you will be placed on a waiting list. If a plot becomes available, Park Authority staff will notify you by phone. If you decline the plot, or do not respond within 7 days the plot will be offered to the next person on the waiting list."

As of 4/20/2005, the following plots had more vacancies than people on the wait list:
    Bo White @ Pine Ridge 6 vacancies, 0 wait list
    Franconia, Alexandria 7 0
    Lewinsville, McLean 8 0
    Nottoway, Vienna 4 2

The Garden Plot Administrator may be reached at 703-642-0128, M-F 9-4.

Go to their web page for more information, good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairfax County VA community garden plots

• rico_md
    18 years ago

Darby,

Looks like you struck gold thanks to Lrobins. As far as locating local garden clubs, check the local community newspapers ( does the Journal still exist?????). They'd have the contact info.

Regina,

The farm is located on Rt 193 ( Enterprise Road) just north of Central Ave. across from an elementary school. I don't believe that the farm has a name but it's owned by the Simpson family. The original farmer passed away a couple of years ago, his wife still lives on the property but the son takes care of the plots. I don't remember the phone number off hand, but they are in the phone book or if interested gardeners are in the area, drop by the house (That's what I did).

-Rico

• gratefulgardens
    14 years ago

I have a new community garden in Fairfax , VA It is a chemical free garden plot. I have 40 available right now. Mennonites farmed this land for a very long time. My email is gratefulgardens@yahoo.com if you are interested I will put you in contact with the lady who organizes it for me. She too is from Arlington.

Thank you,

Bryan williams

• gardnwatch
    14 years ago

I'm in the Baltimore County area....
    is there any chance anyone reading this will know of any community garden areas or farmers renting out their land around this area a bit north of Baltimore City?
    Thanks.....
    Bonnie

• dgs9r
    14 years ago

Gardenwatch,
    There's a CG area in the Mt. Washington Arboretum. If you're interested, I'll be happy to forward you the contact name.
    Deepti

• gardnwatch
    14 years ago

Deepti,
    Yes, I would like the contact name. Thank you.
    Didn't have your email address....
    Bonnie

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio