Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Is This Flower?

Posted by emmi331 7 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 17:00

Someone gave me (or I bought) a flower a couple of years back that is blooming now; for the life of me I cannot remember what it is, but I love it. It is about 18-24 inches tall, with clusters of large bright yellow flowers at the top of each stalk. More clusters are getting ready to bloom along the sides of each stalk. Each flower reminds me of a giant buttercup - it has 4 petals and each petal has a slight indent at the top. It seems to enjoy full sun, but others are getting ready to blossom in part-shade. I think I remember being warned that this will take over the garden if left alone, and so far this prediction is correct. I am also not sure if this is a wildflower or not. Can anyone help identify this? Thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Is This Flower?

Probably Celandine Poppy or Wood Poppy. Stylophorum diphyllum. The height, 4 petals, time of bloom match.

o

No, I don't think it's a wood poppy. I checked photos on the internet, and the leaves are different - I should have described them. The leaves on this are long and pointed, a bit wide in the middle.

o

Evening primrose perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Oenothera

o

Sure sounds like Oenothera to me, especially with 4 petals. Most likely the species commonly known as "sundrops" (can't remember the species offhand), which is stoloniferous and can spread pretty fast.

o

Yes, these are sundrops! I took a sample over to the Virginia Garden Extension in my hometown, and they identified them. Wonderfully showy flowers for the garden. Thanks, all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here