Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do your coneflowers wilt in Zone 7?

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 08 at 18:03

I planted a bunch of coneflowers because they were known to be a tough flower in Zone 4. I was surprised when I saw them droop in the summer sun here; even though they've been watered the evening before. Is that typical for mid-central VA? Poor little darlings, they curl their leaves away from the sun come 1-2:00 p.m.

I planted Yarrow (Achillea)and that seems to tolerate the sun better. How does Coreopsis do? Which perennials take the heat the best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do your coneflowers wilt in Zone 7?

i have never had a problem with any of those plants, maybe it was a touch of transplant shock

along with what you have mentioned: heliopsis, joe pye weed, perennial bachelors buttons, sedums, verbena bonares, phlox have all done well in the midst of sweltering days

k

o

I've never had trouble with any of those either. Were they newly planted or already established?

o

No . . . the coneflowers hadn't just been transplanted. They are at the back of a perennial border and are even mulched to a depth of about two inches. The leaves curl inwards on my black eyed susans as well. Our house is in the middle of a three acre meadow that has no trees and my flower border faces directly south. I water them once a week in dry weather. This must be just due to the strength of the summer sun here because they perk up in the late afternoon. Thanks for your reply listing "Survivors". I'll keep it for future reference.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here