Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White lilac

Posted by kandhi z7VA (My Page) on
Tue, May 10, 05 at 19:52

I bought a 5gal whitelilac at costco. I do not want to plant it in ground because I am planning to move next year. Can I maintain that in the same pot for a year or does it kill it? The plant is 4ft tall with several blooms now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White lilac

I kept several in pots for a couple years - I had harvested from a plant on the family farm. The largest was 3-4'. Planted them last year. Only one has bloomed since transplant, but I understand that sometimes it takes a couple years after transplant to bloom. It may need more water than if it was planted.
Good luck!

o
RE: White lilac

I have to say that I don't know much about lilacs, but I would suggest pulling the plant out of its pot to check the roots. If the plant is root bound now, it will be even more so come fall. If this is the case then move it to a bigger pot. Also, it seems like there is something that you could do to help the pot retain moisture so you don't have to water everyday. Like maybe partially bury the pot in the ground or a mound of mulch.

Is there supposed to be a picture with the original post?

- Brent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here