Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

How are you coping with all this rain?

I brought tomatoes to the swap. All of those I set aside for my use are still sitting on my patio. It's too cold and wet to set them out in the garden. I have hundreds of perennials that are just hanging on, getting leggy and paler. If I put them outside to harden off, the lack of sun or a cool wind doesn't help at all. My peppers and eggplant are still in the cells.

Last year everything was planted by now. I begin to wonder when the soil temps will be warm enough to set the sun lovers out!

Comments (7)

• LynneinMD
    15 years ago

Well, my big plans for veggies this year have kindof gotten quashed because of the rain and cooler weather, but partly because I wasn't timely starting things. On the flip side, I'm loving that we're having a nice cool spring, it's so nice to not be HOT yet.

I do hope it stops raining soon though - when the ground is totally saturated water seeps into our heat/air ducts/pipes. It's only happened a couple of times before but I'm getting concerned about mold/mildew in the ducting if we don't get some dry weather soon. Ugh.

I will say that all the plants I got from gardenweb folks last year are VERY happy and growing very well, and I have unexpected return visitors and volunteers. So I'm thrilled with everything that's out there now even if I haven't gotten any new stuff planted yet.

Lynne

• christy2828
    15 years ago

So far everything here is coping. The only problem that I am having is that my moonflower seeds will not germinate. They're drowning, not sprouting!! I'll never get flowers if this keeps up. Christy :)

• annebert
    15 years ago

I'm happy about the rain because we are still behind on moisture here and I've been able to move stuff and plant stuff without having to water a million times. The large area of rocky clay that I'm turning into garden this year is reasonably easy to work.

The cool temps _are_ annoying, but I've been surprised to see what plumerias and brugmansias can tolerate.

• eibren
    15 years ago

My husband started planting his vegetable garden two weeks before the last frost date after checking the weather forecasts, and I followed suit with the few things I had gathered to plant out in a protected spot on a slight slope with a Southern exposure.

So far, everything seems OK--his tomatoes and peppers look fine, his peas are up about six inches, and he more recently went out between the rains and got his green beans planted.

Aside from clearing runaway vines and shoots away from my potted herbs, I haven't done much gardening since--except, that is, for watching my Yellow Archangel spread madly out of a spot I had it contained in for years, into an area where volunteer trees were removed by the electric company. :o(

Today I went to a local herb farm (Alloway Creek) and picked up a few plants I am hoping will compete with the Yellow Archangel.

I'm also considering trying to move a few shrubs that are being shaded out in older garden areas...I remember, one summer, doing that with a shrub and finding it rather easy to do when the soil was so wet. (Of course, to actually plant it, I had to mix dry peat moss with the wet soil...).

I guess if it doesn't stop raining soon, I will have to purchase some peat moss. :o(

• venusruiz
    15 years ago

I planted my tomatoes and peppers last week, and in spite of the wind and all the rain, they are doing good. The basils are resenting the cold weather a bit. I noticed some black burned leave tips this morning. Other than that, i planted last week my green beans too.

• crabjoe
    15 years ago

I just planted my tomatoes today. I just couldn't wait any longer. Plus if some don't make it, I've got plenty more seedlings to take their place.

As for other stuff like peppers, squash, cukes.... I'll see how the weather is this Sunday. If it's good, they're going in then or on Monday.

I don't know how much rain/wind we've gotten, but when I was planting my tomatoes today, there were spots in my veggie garden that was just water logged. It's hard to believe how much rain and wind we've been getting this month. Last year, May was NICEEEEE.

• hairmetal4ever
    15 years ago

Loving it after last year's drought. However, I fear we'll go from deluge to drought at the snap of a finger - it's been pretty dry the last week or so and no significant rain in the forecast.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm