Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some mystery ferns--free to good home

Posted by dawnstorm 7/MD (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 22:03

My mother has these ferns growing in her front yard, and for reasons known only to her and the Lord above, she doesn't like them. Well, I offered to come dig 'em up and did so yesterday. Nice Mother's Day gift huh? Anyway, I have planted some, given some to my next-door neighbor, and are offering up the rest. You can see the photo in the link below. These ferns are (so far) about 15 inches high and get afternoon/evening sun at my mom's house. They have a pleasant, hay-y smell. My mother does have more of these that she wants me to dig up, but they're right in her lily of the valley patch and she doesn't want me tramping around in there while the lilies are in bloom. Heck, she was sweating bullets yesterday and fears that I have done her vinca major irreparable harm. Between now and the end of the summer, I will try to learn how to levitate so I can dig up the rest of the ferns without putting my big feet everywhere. Anyway, if and of you are at all interested in these ferns, or some hot pink/white morning glory seedlings, please e-mail me at DawnPalkaATverizonDOTnet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery fern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some mystery ferns--free to good home

• Posted by suja z7 noVA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 07 at 9:32

Dawn, those look like Sensitive Fern (Onoclea sensibilis). There is also a small possibility that it could be Netted Chain Fern since they tend to look alike, but the Sensitive Fern is much more common.

I would love some, but since you're in Maryland and I'm in Virginia, I'm going to assume that our paths are more than likely not going to cross in the near term.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fern ID

o

Hi Dawn,

I would like to get some. Where in MD are you? I am in Columbia. I have a few things going on this weekend, but if you are close enough, it shouldn't be a problem.

Jen

o

Avoirgold--I live in Wheaton. As Route 29 goes I'm probably about 30 minutes away from you. Depends on traffic of course. ;)
Suja, if you want to arrange a meeting place that's halfway between your house and mine, that would be OK, unless you're in a mood for a road trip.
I will most certainly be home on Saturday--that's Preakness Day and with coverage starting at noon on ESPN, I ain't goin' anywhere!

o

Suja, if you want Sensitive ferns take mine please. I have
bunches and you know I'm much closer to you. If you're going to the Greenspring sale this Saturday I could bring some and give them to you there. Actually I guess that goes for anyone who wants them. Sorry Dawn if I'm stealing your Virginia customers.

o

• Posted by suja z7 noVA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 16, 07 at 10:31

Dawn, if your mom still has some come Fall swap, I'd be happy to take it off your (and her) hands. Di, I can't go to Greenspring (BOOOO!), but if you live anywhere near Merrifield in Fairfax, that'd be a good place to meet up. Otherwise, there is always the Fall swap.

At the moment, I love ferns. The deer don't eat them, and they're not Poison Ivy/Oak, Lonicera Mackii, japanese honeysuckle, multiflora rose.... That's what I have more than plenty of in my woodlands. I'm always envious of all these people that say 'I cleared up all the invasive stuff in my woodlands, and look at all the Trillium, bloodroot and other natives that popped up!'. I cleared my woodlands, and what I got was seedlings of all the invasive stuff I cleared up. By the thousands.

o

Suja, I could bring ferns to Garden Grandma's on June 17th. I should have brought more of them to the swap but I didnt get around to digging them.

o

Hi Diana,

If you have some extras of the Sensitive Fern after giving Suja hers, I'd be happy to give them a new home! I'm also planning on being at Garden Grandma's on the 17th.

Mea

o

Hi, Dawn, I think I am very close to you and have send you an email. I'd love some of your Mom's castaways if you have some left and have some things perhaps she or you would like. See your email.

o

Ok, Mea I'll bring as many as I can and hope I won't have to take any back home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here