Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Hosta ID

karyn1
16 years ago

I know some people here grow a variety of hostas and was wondering if anyone might be able to ID a few of mine. I lost the tags on a few varieties over the winter. The hosta in the second pic is variegated with a darker green border that didn't show up well in the photo.

TIA,

Karyn

Comments (10)

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Gosh, I'm not certain.
    Why don't you dig them up and I'll hold on to them for research?

If that doesn't fly, you might try what I'm going to do with a couple. I'm going to dig up a small one and take leaves of 2 larger ones into Patuxent Nursery (they have a hosta addicted guy working there), and if he fails me, I'm going to take them to Homestead.

If that fails, there's always Bhenke's and Meadows Farms!

I'd love to trade you something for an eye of these. I don't know what they are, either, but I like 'em!

Christine

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Christine I didn't realize that there was a hosta forum on GW until after I posted here, duh! I guess I should have looked. So I did get what looks like a positive ID on 1 & 3, not sure about 2 yet (of course I don't remember and will have to go back and look at the post). I'd be happy to give you a piece when they get a bit bigger, maybe by the fall swap? I started them last year but they've done well and have grown fast. I have a few more varieties that I'm going to have to take pics and get ID'd. I bought them all at Meadows Farm. I think that's the name of the nursery. It's the one located on 29, near 198. They always have gorgeous hostas.
    Karyn

• zebz
    16 years ago

Not that it will necessarily help with your ID, but there is a great resource that, if you're particularly fond of hostas, will make you salivate.

www.hostalibrary.org

zee

• zebz
    16 years ago

Not like I'm ever right on my guesses, but my first inclination on the third one is Striptease.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Love to have some, Karin!
    I saw your post on Hostas, too.

I didn't know Meadows Farms was over in Laurel. I have one around the corner from me on 214 and Queen Anne Bridge road. It's listed as Mitchelville.

I'm going to put together my hosta list, because it's becoming extensive again. In the fall, we can definately check in and share!

Oh - even though someone has IDed hosta from pictures? Make note of their ID, but then when they bloom, check that. Also check their overall size. There are so many variations it's crazy.

Christine

• zebz
    16 years ago

Do you recall ever buying "Guacamole"? That maybe, could be the second one.

zee

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I might run over to Meadows Farms and see if any of the names of what they are selling this year ring a bell. I'm just afraid if I go I'll come home with some more hostas. lol By the way it's not in Laurel, it's in Burtonsville. There might very well be one in Laurel also.
    Karyn

• watergal
    16 years ago

There are about 20 Meadows Farms locations, even one way up in Westminster. I used to work there.

That hosta does look a lot like Guacamole, but there are so many different ones, it could be something else too.

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

Ok, I admit it! I am an enabler!

Here is another great site. They have lots to choose from. I haven't bought yet, but have salivated over them for many hours. :-)

http://www.directsourcehostas.com/

Jen

Here is a link that might be useful: Direct Source Hostas

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They have some gorgeous varieties and so many! I'm not sure if I should thank or curse you for posting that link. lol
    Karyn

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus