Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Orchids in the MD/VA/DC area?

Posted by counselor4444 6A NJ (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 22:16

Hi all,

I will be driving from NJ down to the DC/Alexandria, VA area at the end of June. Can you recommend some places to go to for a large selection of cheap orchids? (Besides HD and Lowe's!) We'll be driving south through MD to Alexandria, VA if that helps. Unfortunately, we won't have too much time to deviate from our course. TIA!
Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Orchids in the MD/VA/DC area?

Be careful. Orchids are cheap for a reason. Lots of times growers will stress them severely to force them into bloom, and once you get them home they never recover. Always lift the orchid out of its pot to check the roots before you buy it. If most of the roots aren't fat and healthy looking, forget it.

There's a place near us that seems reputable, but I don't recall the name. It's right at the corner of Route 123 and Beulah Rd. in Vienna.

Larry

o

Thanks Larry. I'll look into that. I've been buying rather "cheap" orchids at big box stores recently that have been in excellent shape. I'm always looking to add to my collection though, so i'm looking forward to looking down in your area.

any other suggestions for places?

o

It's a shame that Kensington Orchids sold off their property and closed shop. They had some gorgeous orchids. I buy most of my orchids online from Hauserman in IL. It seems that most of the local nurseries carry the common dendrobs, phals and oncidiums.
Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Hauserman

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here