Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dwarf apple trees and italian cypress

Posted by dgs9r z7 Baltimore, MD (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 07 at 22:21

Ok, they have nothing to do with each other, but I have questions about both.

I just got interested in these.

Anyone grow true dwarf apple trees on M-27 rootstock around here?

Do Italian Cypresses grow around here? If not, anything similar -- tall, columnar, etc.

Thanks
deepti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dwarf apple trees and italian cypress

I'm interested too. I just had a 200 year oak cut down, and suddenly I have sun. I'm thinking dwarf apple trees, because I have two beehives, and so far I've been able to find this, http://www.hgic.umd.edu/content/onlinepublications.cfm#Vegetable and Herb Gardening
It's an online pub. from the MD Cooperative Extension Service about fruit trees.
It sounds like you know a bit about rootstock, I don't even know this much. If you make a selection, would you please share what, and why so I can learn?
Thanks

o

• Posted by dgs9r z7 Baltimore, MD (My Page) on
    Sat, May 19, 07 at 22:24

Wow, a 200-year Oak! It must have left behind a *lot* of space! And a lot of feeling!

I stumbled on a description of dwarf apple trees in a book on kitchen gardening (called "Kitchen Garden"), and it recommended the M-27 as being a true dwarf. In the book, it was shaped into a single trunk with a flat canopy, and the whole thing looked about 3-4 feet tall. You can also shape into other shapes such as cordon, espalier, etc.

I contacted Raintree Nursery in WA, and they emailed back something about a "combo mini tree." I'm guessing it's two or three varieties on a single rootstock, so that you don't have to plant 2-3 different varieties for them to cross-pollinate. I haven't had the chance to follow up with them and verify.

I found your link to the Extension Service really helpful and wonder why I didn't think of it! I might call them first. The extension service listed Edible Landscaping of VA -- I might call them also.

I'll post on what I find out next week.
deepti

o

Great! keep updating. Yes, this tree is (was)one of the main reasons we bought our little house. When people asked us about it, we could barely remember if there was a dishwasher / shower etc. we were just captivated by the tree. Oh well, sigh. Now we have sun in our backyard, and more possibilities.

o

Edble Landscaping is very expensive (I would say overpriced)and half the stuff I bouoght from them died. There is a nice Amish-run nursey in Lancaster County where you can get a variety of trees, I think on different rootstocks. I can look up address if you're interested. Adams County Nursery is also a good source, but they don't have the super-dwarfing rootstock. But you can learn a lot from their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adams County Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here