Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Fall Swap plant ideas?

I had such a great time at this years and last years Spring swaps that I am looking forward to Fall.

How do plant offerings differ from spring? Do people specifically sow seeds with intent to swap? Propagate house plants? Someone give an idea of what people are typically looking for in the fall...

I'm planting various perennial seeds which I hope will germinate enough extra to share.

I'd love some peonies and spring flowering bulbs/corms.

Comments (8)

• oscarthecat
    17 years ago

Yes I have the same ? I'll have some daylilies. How about a beautiful white tall bearded iris? An early bloomer? Steve in Baltimore

• dawnstorm
    17 years ago

I usually sow some extra purple bean hyacinth vines for sowing, but most of what I have to offer comes from divisions. The only difference I can see from spring to fall swap wise is that the fall plants are mature plants, whereas the spring ones are saplings/seedlings. Also, there are veggie plants in the spring.

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

I love the fact that there is seed swapping and people bring the tropicals they can't winter inside.

This year, I hope to pick up a few things like that. My kitty who ate plants and immediately vomited, died in our fire. In his honor, I'd like to put some plants around. Ok, OK. I'm taunting his little kitty ghost, but I think he'd get over it.

C.

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

I plan on bringing seeds, and a few iris tubers. If you have bulbs that need dividing I am sure people would love them. I know I would! As far as over wintering plants if my winter sowed impatients get some real size to them perhaps I will bring them. It is so heartbreaking for me to see impatients turn into a pile of mush after the first frost :-(

When do people prune things like azaleas, roses, rhododendron etc I have discovered the magic of rooting powder and would love to get my hands on some cuttings.

I think I need a bigger lotÂ

• spanaval
    17 years ago

I'll definitely be bringing some more mature plants and a couple that I couldn't bring to the Spring swap because of lack of room in the car (assuming they make it to fall). There may also be things that are outgrowing their space, or have had babies. Last Fall, I got a huge 'Hansa' sucker, and it is just a gorgeous rose.

The turnout for the Fall swap is generally smaller, and I know that I am more relaxed because there is less stuff to do, garden wise.

Suja

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

I am in the process of rejuvenating my flowerbeds, so unless I should have quite a few plants for the fall swap (assuming they don't die in their pots by then). I've already divided garden phlox, echinacea, gloriosa daisies, crocosmia, and bearded iris, in addition to digging up a bunch of overcrowded daffodil bulbs. And I'm only finished with about a quarter of the main bed!

And as usual, I expect to have some old rose suckers available (Annette, are you listening?).

• faerieannette
    17 years ago

huh? old roses! *Annette puts down her shovel wipes the sweat off of her face and jumps up and down* yippee!!

I think I better get my hubby to prune some of our trees higher so I can have some more light.

There is this branch I stare at it every day and think of all the light it is blocking, not to mention it is ugly.

btw, I just learned today of the importance of wearing gloves when working with roses! ouch! it that blood?!

• darcieg
    17 years ago

Are there any plans for a fall plant swap in the NOVA area?