Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_christie

Rose Recommendations Needed

sandra_christie
16 years ago

I have two roses that do really well for me (both French, so excuse spelling): Cecille Brunner and Zepherine Druhaine. I have them trailing together over an arbour leading to my front door. During the month of May they stop traffic - for about a week, after that just scraggly.

Can anyone recommend some old-fashioned roses that are easy for a rose beginner, but that are REALLY strong repeat bloomers? I'm looking for climbers as well as shrub roses. Thanks!

PS I'm terrible with clematis, does anyone have alternative suggestions for vines that will scramble prettily (huh) through my, now scraggly roses, without blocking too much air or overwhelming mes filles!

Thanks again.

Comments (12)

• janetm_md
    16 years ago

I don't know if you have other criteria such as fragrance or color. I know what you mean about Cecille Brunner being a show stopper-it is GORGEOUS. I don't consider this rose to be old fashioned but it is one of the more disease resistent roses in my garden (I don't spray), it smells really good, and from Spring till Fall there is rarely a time there isn't a bloom on it... I'd highly recommend the rose "Compassion." (see link below). Compassion was a large shrub for quite awhile and now it is a climber and is throwing canes 15 feet into the air arching over my driveway.

Another rose that I like except it doesn't smell is Dortmund. I have it climbing over an arbor with another rose that doesn't bloom as much to compensate. It blooms and blooms and blooms and I don't have any problems with disease. It is red though so if you're looking for a pastel this isn't the rose for you.

If you haven't already you should post this question over on the rose forum where I'm sure you'll get tons more ideas.

-Janet (in Catonsville)

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of rosa Compassion

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Don't rule out once bloomers entirely. IME, many of my roses might as well be once bloomers, because the nasty Japanese Beetle eat the blooms quicker than they can be produced during the summer. There are many that bloom and perfume the garden in early summer, retain their foliage with no problems, and then go on to have fall color or interesting hips, so provide 3-season interest.

Passing along information I've gathered from others, and on the basis of my own experience (I have a no-spray garden):

Knockouts - All versions bloom for a very long time and really are quite bulletproof.

Darlow's Enigma - Gets BIG, but continuous blooming, easy care and sets hips.

Older Rugosas such as Hansa, Rosearaie de l'Hay - Strong colors, exceptional fragrance, may set hips, good repeat bloomers and low maintenance (must not be sprayed).

Many of the Gallicas and Albas (Charles de Mills, Belle de Crecy, Konigin von Danemark, Duc de Guiche, Alice Viena, Jenny Duval, Belle Sans Flatteri, Belle Isis, also, damask Ispahan)

Others that get some blackspot but will keep going: The Earthsong, Carefree Sunshine, Morning Has Broken, The Mayflower, Arethusa, Jaques Cartier, Indigo, Illusion (Red climber), New Dawn and Awakening (Pale Pink climbers), The Fawn, and Lyda (a little more BS). I don't know if all Portlands get this, but my Jaques Cartier gets Portland Crud towards the end of summer.

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

Have you tried adding lime in the planting hole of your clematis? That may help...or dig in some lime around established plants.

I don't have much experience with roses but I planted "the fairy" rose a couple of years ago and it does better than any other rose I've TRIED to grow. It does run though and will take over the world if not kept in check.

Like Suja, Japanese beetles are awful here...the only reason I don't grow more roses. They don't seem to bother the fairy rose as much.

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, thanks for the recommendations, they are great, particularly since I won't spray either! Huh Janet, Cecille blooms only ONCE for me, whether I've been super-vigilent to snip off dead blooms or not - wonder why. Maybe I'll give climatis another try (sigh) the sight of one frail stem clinging desperately to life, is a sight I've seen too often in my yard. Meanwhile, neighbors have them blocking the mail carrier from deliveries, sigh.
    Thanks,
    Sandra

• firstkim
    16 years ago

If you want something to cover the roses this season, I'd suggest an annual vine like morning glory that will grow and flower fairly quickly.

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Sandra, I've never had a single Clematis fail on me. Even the one I thought I had killed turned out to be alive and kicking. If you're buying them in itty-bitty pots, try potting them up into gallons, growing them out a bit and then planting either next Spring or in the fall. Bury deeper than they are in the pot. Or, buy them in larger pots. And, start with Group 3s - they're less likely to be affected by wilt than Group 2s, and their pruning requirements lend them particularly well towards being grown with roses.

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't, but Suja's cryptic comment is getting me interested! I would love to see clematis growing through my roses. What's the absolute beginner Group 3 clematis that you would suggest I purchase? Thanks.

• spanaval
    16 years ago

Group 3s can be pruned hard. Meaning, they can be cut back completely if you'd like, so they're less likely to interfere with pruning you'd do on the roses.

For a beginner clematis, I'd recommend any of the Viticellas. There are some gorgeous ones in the mix, and they're easy-peasy. Check out the article below for some names.

This is not a very good picture, but gives you a good idea of what you can expect from one of these beauties. BTW, the clematis in the picture is a Venosa Violacea, in its second year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on Viticellas

• thistle5
    16 years ago

I really like Austin roses, I have 2 'Crown Princess Margarete', & 3 'Christopher Marlowe'. The CPM is more of a climber, very large, very prolific, & fragrant. I just added 3 'Rainbow Knockout's this spring, so it's too early to judge their performance. I use Bayer 3-in-1 on my roses, every 6 weeks (if I remember). Gertrude Jekyll (another Austin)is very fragrant, but has wicked thorns & Julia Child (floribunda) has also been a great rose-healthy & long-blooming (I had blooms close to T'giving here-we did have an unusually long Indian summer).

I wish I could tell you about clematis-I always thought I had no luck with them, but this year, several that I had written off are thriving-maybe they just need some time...

• lynnt
    16 years ago

My favorite clematis is Betty Corning, which has completely overwhelmed the poor Cordelia rose it was planted as companion for. Loads of small blue (did you hear that, Christine!) nodding bells, at least twice a summer and more towards fall.

For a sweet-scented everblooming rose, consider Don Juan -- a deep velvety-red climber, with a large flush in spring & fall, plus enough repeat between that I usually have at least one blossom on my desk at work. I just planted a (white) Madame Isaac Carriere next to DJ, both for the color coordination and because I like the idea of Don Juan disporting with the Madame by my kitchen stoop.

LynnT

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suja,
    OK, the picture did it. I WANT THAT! It's exactly the look I love. I am going to read up and then try one (or maybe two)! Thanks to all for the great help and suggestions. I've been hanging out reading the potager forum as I'm transforming my lawn into a potager, I want to mix flowers and veg. together, and clematis growing up poles among the veggies would be fab. Thanks again.

• la_herb_lady_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

For a shrub rose, I highly recommend Duchess de Brabant... She is a beauty and blooms her heart out!

Here's the description that The Antique Rose Emporium gives:
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Tea
    Teddy Roosevelt made this rose his favorite, often wearing a bud or flower as a boutonniere. It is very nearly our greatest favorite, too. The cupped pink flowers have a cabbagey roundness to them, as if they were picked from a luscious old rose painting. Nearly continuously in bloom, these roses can be counted on for a rich whiff of fragrance at absolutely any time of the day, even in the hot Texas sun. The apple green leaves are slightly wavy.