Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gene_washdc

Mushroom Compost source in S. Md

gene_washdc
18 years ago

Anyone know of a source for mushroom compost that delivers by the truckload to Southern Maryland (St. Mary's Co.)? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• gene_washdc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Les,
    I'm in DC, but just recently bought a few acres in St. Mary's as a weekend garden haven. I'm wanting to build a few raised beds, and thought the mulch would be a good way to fill it in. A friend who has a plot nearby, had a truckload delievered about 3-4 years ago (from PA I think), but he doesn't remember the contact information. I haven't had much luck on Google yet. I guess I'll have to do some calling around to see who would truck it that far.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

I occasionally pick up a bag of Leafgro compost while at one of the big boxes. It is great stuff, but I cringe when I have to open my wallet and pry out that $5 bill for one little bag. I have heard rumors of places in MD selling the stuff for under $20 per yard. I checked the site (link below) and did not see any retailers listed in St. Mary's Co., but you might want to check if any are close enough.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Leafgro Info

• marymd7
    18 years ago

Gene, why don't you ask around at the farmers market or feed store or similar place down there and see if you can't find a local source for material for your raised beds. I'm just sure someone's got a big pile of well-rotted horse manure and stall bedding sitting out behind their barn that they'll be happy to get rid of. I know I can always find stuff like that over in Calvert Co!

• azaleaphile
    18 years ago

In a discussion of mushroom compost a while back in an azalea group, someone pointed out that this compost is alkaline and not good for acid-loving plants. So please be careful about what you put in your raised beds, if you're going to plant shrubs -- Leafgro is neutral, but manure can be too high in nitrogen unless well aged and mixed with other stuff (better for veggies). Might want to consider starting your own composting area now that you have the room and material for it....

• lbkeenan_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Let me know if you find any mushroom soil! I just moved down from PA and am surprised that it's so hard to find.

• mirka_g
    13 years ago

I used to do manure analysis at UMD
    Horse amnure lowest in Nitrogen but full of weed seeds.
    Poultry and swine are very high in N
    When I needed to replenish the supply to which I no longer had access, I would just stop at a place that had horses and ask for manure and was never refused. Most times I was sent to the composted pile. I am in PG.
    If you offer gas money you may be able to find a local that would deliver. Can't hurt to ask.

• salrygrl_verizon_net
    13 years ago

I know this is an old posting. I just found it. I work at a horse farm that has at least a tractor trailer load of compost accumulated over 9 yrs. very rich, black /some hay from the last few yrs. would be great for someone who needs major bulk. made up of hay, streufex- which is chopped up grass.you take we can arrange ship. FREE FREE

• ryanzone7
    13 years ago

I use horse manure compiost all the time

I've never seen a weed seed sprout out of the stuff AND It is so perfectly saturated with nitrogen that in some spots it off gases as ammonia yet no problems as I use it
    Its at least three months old but never over nine months old
    I get for free and it works great!

• Sam Treftz
    6 years ago

This is a old post i know a good source in sothern md

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus