Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have This Year's Iris Bloomed In Maryland?

Posted by missmary (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 7:53

I moved into a new house last fall and am going through my first year of identifying the plants in the yard. I was gone all through the month of May, and one week of June, so I missed seeing what bloomed then.

I have what I think are iris growing in part of the yard - but now I'm not so sure.

Since I want to move the iris away where they are at, I started digging them up, and they just seem to be green stems with roots. I haven't rinsed the soil off the roots, but I don't see obvious rhizomes sticking out from in there - just green stems attached to roots.

Is there a chance they aren't iris? Could they be an ornamental grass?

The green stems are growing in the shape of a circle (not a ball) with nothing in the middle. Is that normal?

I think there is a leftover stem of a dead bloom on a couple of these plants.

How do iris do in shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have This Year's Iris Bloomed In Maryland?

My irises are new-ish plants, given to me by family and my husband's boss last fall. I planted them quickly so they would bloom this year. Only one did, but the others are healthy with nice foliage. My one iris to bloom budded at the end of April and opened at the beginning of May. I noticed irises around town blooming around the same time. My irises are growing in full sun, but I know that my mother's iris (in Indiana) grow in partial sun, under her lilac bushes.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I have Iris's in two different places in my yard and neither one bloommed this year. I have no reason as to why.

o

My iris bloomed a while back. The ones that end up shaded don't bloom well for me so I move them to a sunnier spot. What didn't bloom were my lilacs and I noticed that none of my akebias bloomed either (3 different varieties). I've heard from a number of people about their lilacs not blooming and noticed that there were none (or very few) in any yards in Mont. or Howard counties this spring.

o

Could what you have be candy lily or blackberry lily? Neither have the tuber that iris have and do better in more shade than iris does. They also have similar foliage. My blackberry lily has not bloomed yet this year. My irises bloomed back in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here