Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lack of Bees

Posted by fanfortony 7 Frederick, MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 8:33

Anyone else having trouble with squash not getting pollinated? I am not seeing ANY bees this year. All my zucc is dying on the vine, getting about 3 inches long then turning to mush. I've started to hand pollinate but don't think I'm having much luck. The females are closed when the males are open and vice versa. Now I'm noticing that the same thing is happening to my acorn squash and butternut. I was really looking forward to the squash harvest this year. Anyone want to share their bees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lack of Bees

The link below may give you some help as to properly pollinating by hand. I think the key is to use newly opened female flowers. You can probably open the male flowers to collect the pollen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollinating squash

o

Not having much problem with pollinators up here near Bel Air. Last year I had to do some hand pollinating to get some zucchini. Seemed to work fine.

o
I was just about to post the same thought

I haven't seen nearly as many bees as I have in years past. In fact just two years ago I remember picking up apples at a house I take care of because the yellow jackets were all over the squashed (squished?) apples, but this year not a one, and this morning I looked and looked and I only found one sleepy lil bee in one of my pumpkin flowers and I find this VERY SCARY, I would think that the lack of bees would be (ahem) all a buzz with the media but ether no one else is noticing or is this just a local thing around only my gardens? have I offended the compost gods by not worshiping them as I used to do?
does anyone know of any school or large group that needs a composting guru? (I do miss composting on a grand scale)
oh, what to do? what to do?
ialbtc

o

I have actually noticed an INCREASE in bees... Hooray! I have a lot clover in my yard. Earlier this season, all I saw were the huge bumblebees. In the past month, I have noticed honey bees in the clover. They are going crazy on my squashes. As the daughter of a beekeeper, I am very conscious of these pollinators. A friend visited last night and commented on all the pollinators flying around. So, I think bees are making a comeback...at least in Reisterstown, MD.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here