Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avoirgold

What's Blooming?

avoirgold
16 years ago

A coworker of mine is interested in finding some good perennials, so I am asking in the best place!

I have a large daisy-type aster, daylilies, hostas on the verge, yarrow, coreopsis, shasta daisy getting ready.

Jen

PS: Are your butterfly bushes blooming? Mine aren't yet. :-(

Comments (12)

• lesathummergarden
    16 years ago

Butterfly bushes in my Clinton MD garden are blooming.

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

A ton of stuff right now, including our two epicactus (the ones with the 6 inch blooms). This has been a banner year for Purple Poppy Mallow (Callirhoe involucrata). It's sprawled out to about a 6 foot diameter and there must be 200 hot pink flowers on it.

Larry

• alina_1
    16 years ago

Clematis and Lilies!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's a beautiful lily.
    Karyn

• gemini_jim
    16 years ago

Here in Linthicum: daylilies, yarrow, feverfew (just ending), beebalm, Echinacea. Rudbeckia is on the verge.

• sfmiller
    16 years ago

Daylilies, shasta daisies, various salvias (regeliana and the noble guaranitica are especially nice), agastache, gooseneck loosestrife in the clay bed reminding me of why I put up with it.

What's wilting? Everything.

Steven

• madsquopper
    16 years ago

Here's one of the epicactus. The flower is about 6" in diameter.

{{gwi:1049881}}

• Brent_In_NoVA
    16 years ago

What is blooming now? Everything! Honestly if your friend is looking for perennials to provide a long season of bloom he or she needs to focus more on mid spring and fall because there is a huge list of flowers that bloom in June and July.

- Brent

• alina_1
    16 years ago

That epicactus is stunning! I am not sure if it can be recommended as a perennial though.
    Thanks for the kind words Karyn! BTW, these Lilies are growing in the pots you gave me :-)

• JohnnieB
    16 years ago

Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa) and Echinacea 'Sundown' in full bloom, Lilium regale almost finished, most daylilies just starting, Spigelia marilandica finishing up, early Phlox paniculata (a dwarf variety just starting; 'Robert Poore' about 4 feet tall and barely in bud!); Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and Silene regia 'Prairie Fire' (one of my new favorites) budding up and probably blooming within a week or two. Buddleia 'Royal Red' is budding up and will be blooming within days.

Of course all the annuals are in full bloom; Cleome 'Apple Blossom', marketed as a "Proven Winner", has done spectacularly well this year, to the point that it is crowding out some other plants. No seed set that I can see, which may explain why it is branching and blooming so heavily.

• leslies
    16 years ago

Out here in Middleburg:

daylilies
    shasta daisies
    some hostas (Bressingham Blue)
    hydrangeas ('Annabelle', unnamed electric blue mophead, 'Snow Queen' and 'Alice' oakleafs)
    bottlebrush buckeye
    asclepias of all kinds
    deplhinium chinensis
    linum perenne (a few)
    soapwort (they're STILL at it!)
    salvia uliginosa - just getting started
    salvia 'Black and Blue'
    'Darlow's Enigma' and 'Paul Neyron' roses
    leptodermis oblonga
    snowberry (symphoricarpos alba)

Many of these have been blooming already for three or more weeks.

Also annuals: nasturtiums, larkspur, zinnias, marigolds, nemesia, nierembergia, etc., etc.

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The lilies and epicactus are both stunning! That red on the epicactus really grabs one's attention! Thanks to all. Keep it coming. I find it facinating what everyone grows. :-)

Jen

Sponsored