Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_christie

organic peach - just a dream?

sandra_christie
16 years ago

Hope this is not off topic, but I'm desperate!

Does ANYONE ANYWHERE in MD know of a source to buy LOCAL organic (or close to it) peaches? Not Whole Foods or the like. I want them warm and straight off the tree, fresh and without pesticide residue. Is this too much to ask?

Does anyone grow their own peaches? (Possibly another forum's topic, I'll have to explore...)

Thanks

Comments (8)

• lesathummergarden
    16 years ago

Last summer I would have said Cherry Hill farms in Clinton MD. But unfortunatly.
    they closed this winter so the land could be developed BOOO!!

Les

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shame about Cherry Hill, I would've travelled there. How much more development do we need before we have to buy our peaches and other produce from China!!!

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

There are a couple of pick-your-own farms in the area. I have co-workers that go to Larriland. Go to their web-site and check it out. They do grow peaches as well as several different berries and apples. The do use integrated pest management. Not sure if that counts as organic. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Larriland

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Larriland certainly has great peaches and other items, but they use IPM which although better, is not organic. I've been checking with the cooperative extension people, and they say that it is virtually impossible to grow peaches organically here in MD. Larriland's methods are probably the best I can hope for unless I go to an organic market and purchase them from CA or somewhere like that.

• rian
    16 years ago

I tried to grow peaches organically--without much success. Ditto with apples although they did turn out really well one year--properly timed cold snaps and thaws, rains and dry spells kept insects and diseases at bay.

If you can't control the weather, try figs, oriental persimmons, and pears. All are beautiful trees and easier to grow with organic methods. Are there any other fruit trees easy to grow organically in this area?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I finally got rid of my peach tree because I couldn't harvest peaches without the use of chemicals. I tried for a number of years and it wasn't happening. I just have figs, persimmons, hardy kiwis and berry bushes now. They grow fine without the use of fungicides or insecticides. Good luck on your organic peach search.
    Karyn

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

Sandra,

My parents have 3 peach trees and they get organic peaches. No sprays or anything, but they do have to cover their fruits so the bugs don't get them.

The only real problem they have is with deer. Covers don't work, so they lose most of them. By the time they are ready to pick, they only get a few dozen from 3 trees.

• sandra_christie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all,
    I wish I could have fresh CA produce, but still live here in lovely MD. Oh well, I think Larriland will work. I can always ask them what they had to spray this year, and decide from there. I love peaches, but am put off by thoughts of various residues on the fruit.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022