Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjkosko

Problem's with De Baggio's?

sjkosko
18 years ago

Anyone in the DC area ever buy plants from De Baggio's? It's the big herb and veggie plant farm out by Dulles Airport.

It was very highly recommended to me, but the plants I bought there last month have so far come down with spider mites, white fly, powdery mildew, some kind of leaf miner I can't identify, and something that looks like juvenile tomato worms. Lord knows what else is next. AND none of my other house plants have ever had a problem.

So my question is, Was this a fluke? or have others had problems with De Baggio's plants? I was so thrilled with their selection that I'd hate to give up on them, but I naturally don't want diseased plants.

Please advise!

Thanks,

Stacy

Comments (8)

• breezyb
    18 years ago

I've never had any problems with DeBaggio's plants in the past - just recently with the help.

Last time I was there, there were absolutely no signs or closed off areas showing you what was off limits & what wasn't. Someone - I believe the owner - kept following me around telling me I wasn't allowed here; wasn't allowed there, etc., etc. I finally just left without buying anything. I didn't have any secret agenda or criminal intent, but this guy sure made me feel like I did. If he's that nervous about folks wandering around - put up some gates or some signs or something. Geesh.

• marymd7
    18 years ago

I've learned through experience to inspect nursery plants and generally give them a good hosing off before introducing them to the rest of my gardens.

• cilla_in_MD
    18 years ago

The owner of DeBaggio's has come down with Alzheimers and has written a book about it with his wife. They have been interviewed several times over the last couple of years on public radio, either NPR or local affilate WAMU, can't remember which. I believe their son now runs the business, but perhaps the father is still around and may cause a little bit of trouble. I found the book on Amazon.com
    Losing My Mind : An Intimate Look at Life with Alzheimer's
    by Thomas DeBaggio

• breezyb
    18 years ago

No - it definitely wasn't the father. I know all about him & the Alzheimers. This was the son. He was just very annoying, & like I said, they should have closed gates or signs up to confine consumers if they're so nervous about it that they have to be rude.

• zebz
    18 years ago

I got a few plants from there about four or five years ago. The son was already running the place at that time. He certainly was not the friendliest of people. Didn't really seem to care one way or the other whether anybody purchased anything. Seemed like he didn't want to be bothered with answering questions and just pointed me towards "a table over there somewhere" when I asked about a particular plant. Perhaps he was just overwhelmed as it was shortly after the announcement of his father's illness.

The plants themselves weren't a problem, though all are now dead through my own fault

• breezyb
    18 years ago

That's exactly the feeling I got as well - but my experience was just last year.

• kathicville
    18 years ago

I lived a few blocks away from D when they were still located in Arlington, ten years ago. I never had problems with their plants, but I, too, found the folks to be less than friendly. It always seemed a little odd to me, to grow such wonderful plants for sale, and then be pretty unwelcoming to customers. Almost as if they didn't want you to buy anything! Not everybody enjoys dealing with the public, certainly, but hiring some friendly staff who DO enjoy dealing with customers would help. On the other hand, D's has such a following that maybe the customer service issue doesn't appear to be a problem in their eyes. Unless it hits their bottom line, they might not even be aware of the issue.

• MudPye
    18 years ago

I recently bought two tomato plants from them - Rose and German Giant which I promptly planted in two containers that house bell pepper plants. They are doing just fine, as a matter of fact, the German Giant has taken off as a result of the recent rain. No problems.... and they were cheap !

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus