Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

New Echinacea varieties!

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Hi all!

I just want to rave about the new Echinacea varieties 'Sundown' and 'Sunset.' There is another, 'Sunrise' and 'Harvest Moon' (I think that's right), but I don't have them.

Anyway, they were new last year but widely released this year, from what I understand. Well, let me tell you!

They're fantastic. They put the Meadowbrite series seriously to shame. The stems are strong and thick, 2-3' tall, the blossoms are almost 3'' wide. The most amazing thing is that their scent is gorgeous! The colors are electric and show stopping.

I loved the 'Mango' Meadowbrite and 'Art's Pride.' However, they've always flopped on too-delicate stems, the blossoms were so heavy sometimes that when they flopped, they died from the top down. The colors are great, but pastel compared to this new series.

If you want something that glows and smells great in your garden, these are a great choice. I'm moving my 'White Swan' to be with them in a new-last-year garden. I think the contrast will be beautiful. They're already in with some of my now-favorite Agastaches, a 'Coppertina' Ninebark, an 'Autrolinear' (spelling?) Japanese Maple, and some absolutely cellophane-gold iris. In the fall, they'll accompany some gorgeous burgundy mums and a bunch of 'Cherokee Sunset' and 'Autumn Colors' (oh heck) daisies?

So now that you have a review of my little garden, check out these Echinacea. You will be very pleased!

Christine

Comments (17)

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

Christine, I was at Behnke's last week and saw some of those new coneflowers - but at $15-20 a pop, they were too expensive for me. I can't wait until they come down a little in price! They were just starting to bloom and already looked impressive.

I grew "White Swan" from seed several years ago. Do the flowers of WS smell like honey to you? Mine are quite fragrant.

• tabassam
    17 years ago

I just read about them in Fine Gardening new issue. The editor recommends them enthusiasticly. You can now buy seeds--it's called the Echinacea 'Big Sky' series. It's on my 'buy'list. They look luscious!
    Tabby

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

If you head over to Park's, they're on sale.
    I don't recall sniffing my 'White Swan' but I will this year!

I've not had much luck with seeeds, myself, but perhaps I'll try now that it's evidently legal. ):)

I hadn't realized they were that much when I bought them. The fact they made it through the winter is a big selling point with me. I have such trouble with the Meadowbrites and Rudabeckia, and also Gaillardia, that it's just a bonus.

Too Cool! I hope to have them for a lonnnnng time.
    C.

• radagast
    17 years ago

Hmmm... I got a "Sunrise" at a local garden center in a 4" pot for about $6. I guess one just has to shop around - the Big Box stores may charge more in these cases... not sure. Or, maybe the price goes up once they are bigger and in flower?

I've had it for only 2+ weeks, but it is strong and healthy. Both it and "Magnus" have developed buds (but flowering is a distance away), and the plants look very similar to each other in height, leaf shape, vigor, etc. so that's good since the classic purple coneflowers are great plants - it's just nice to have some variety in the flower color!

• juliat
    17 years ago

If it is legal to give away (not sell) the seeds, I could bring 'Sunset' seeds to the fall swap. But would they come true?

• paddlehikeva
    17 years ago

I had some "sunset" seeds germinate this winter. Maybe they will bloom this year and I can advise on whether they come true.

Kathy

• tomstrees
    17 years ago

is the "new line" a hybrid ?
    Can you save seed ?
    I would really be interested , as I have
    the purple ones ~

Tom

• gardenpaws_VA
    17 years ago

Christine, according to a production sheet I found online, the Meadowbrite series has the leaf of its E. paradoxa parent, and I wonder if E. paradoxa has the more slender habit overall, compared to E. purpurea. It does sound like the Big Sky series would work better for most of us, and having them fragrant as well is a wonderful thought!

For bargain hunters -- they still aren't cheap, but Park's is specialling the series at seven dollars and change, each. The pots are only 3-inchers, though. Based on the info sheet, it seems unlikely that the hybrids would come true, patent questions apart.

Robin

Here is a link that might be useful: info on new Echinacea cultivars

• wishdesign
    17 years ago

Parks wholesale site has a number of echinacea varieties (including Harvest Moon, Sunset, Sunrise, Razzmatazz) even cheaper at $2.99 to $5.99. According to the folks at the Perennials forum, The are open to anyone until June 10 (then it's back to retailers/wholesalers only). Shipping is low too, and free for orders over $100. Lots of other great plants too, so view at your own risk, LOL!

--Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks Wholesale Growers

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm looking at the 'Harvest Moon' for contrast maybe.

Sure enough, the 'Art's Pride' of the Meadowbrite series has put out a ton of gorgeous, truly orange blossoms. Unfortunately, I had to stake the entire plant with a peony ring. Flopped again!

I'm really, really pleased with these babies. They're looking great with some very vibrant snap dragons and some million bells in front of them. Always more to add! :)

Christine

• annebert
    17 years ago

I noticed that the tags say "vegetative propagation prohibited", so saving seeds is legal - they won't come true, I bet but could be interesting. However,if seeds are available, I'm on it!

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

I just got an eMail from Park's - they're selling all their coneflower varieties for $4 a piece - this week only.

Here is a link that might be useful: Park's coneflower sale

• sfmiller
    17 years ago

For those concerned about this, plant patents in all cases apply only to asexual reproduction (division, cuttings, tissue culture), not to seeds.

Whether the seeds will come true is, of course, another matter entirely.

Steven

Here is a link that might be useful: US Patent Office plant patent FAQ

• radagast
    17 years ago

Oh, gosh... that Park's sale is so tempting!

• carl-in-va
    15 years ago

I bought over 15 of the Big Sky echinacea from my favorite nursery and not one of them survived the 1st winter. I went back to the nursery to inquire about them and they said that many others were having the same problem with the Big Sky echinacea and that they were treating them like annuals. I had also bought Fancy Frills and Coconut Lime and they love it here and have multiplied nicely. I recommend that if you try the Big Sky series that you have a guarantee that they will survive in your area.

• flowergenie
    14 years ago

I have cleaned up buying seeds on ebay!!! I have them coming up everywhere!!!

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, here's an interesting twist. Last year incredible difficulties, I did absolutely nothing to my gardens. I lost a lot due to neglect and the gardens look like I grew hay in them.

All, yes ALL of my echinacea varieties came out pink. Even the tried and true 'White Swan'. This year I have absolutely none. Not even anything that reseeded.

So there you have it. Love 'em, but interesting that they reverted!!

Christine

Sponsored