Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is attacking my Sycamore?

Posted by avoirgold z7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 10:47

Hi All,

If anyone knows what is in the pix below, please let me know. Whatever it is has already killed 3 trees on my street. The black spots appear below the peeling bark. Not sure if the holes are cause or effect. Are there bugs causing the black areas or are they just taking advantage of a weekend tree? The black areas are hard, almost petrified. I can dig my fingernail into the bark under a peeled part, but not into the black areas. Any help would be appreciated. We want to save our trees.

Thanks so much!!

Jen

From Hosta Forum

From Hosta Forum

From Hosta Forum

From Hosta Forum

From Hosta Forum

From Hosta Forum

From Hosta Forum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is attacking my Sycamore?

• Posted by newt z7/MD (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 24, 09 at 12:55

Hi Jen,

You don't give any info on the leaves or crown of the tree, but I'm thinking either sycamore borer or canker stain.

Sycamore borer - see their page 10 and figure 26 here.
http://www.suddenoakdeath.org/pdf/PestAlert6.pdf

Canker stain
http://www.forestpests.org/sycamore/cankers.html

You may need a certified arborist that does diagnostics take a look at your trees or post your question in the Trees forum. Lots of folks there that know their trees.

Newt

o
RE: What is attacking my Sycamore?

The leaves appear normal, though they gradually thin from bottom to top. I would post more pix, but the county cut down my neighbor's tree that was 80% dead.

Jen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here