Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with plant ID

Posted by donnap99 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 11:19

Take 2... just lost a post...

I need to identify a few plants in my yard - can't find a good online resource to help. Anyone know of one? In case you might be able to help, here are the descriptions. I could post pictures, but don't know how to do that on this message board.

1) sprout-like plants about 3" high and 8" across just popped up in my garden one day. The leaves are dark green and kidney-bean shaped, and so far there are 3 on each sprout.

2) A tree with dark red berries (they start out white), like raspberries, with alternating heart-shaped leaves, hairless, serrated edges. According to my son the berries are not posionous - since he ate about 30 at a neighbor's house. Then he found one of the trees in our woods.

3) A tree or bush or ovegrown weed with 5" leaves - they're not heart shaped, but close - where the top of a heart goes into a V it's straight across. Also hairless, alternating. There are seed pods that look like snow peas.

Thanks!

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with plant ID

Hi Donna,
I'm going to give it a try, although pictures would help (particularly of the first item). The easiest method, actually, is to link to one of the online photo albums, or even just paste in the URL of your picture within such an album, without an active link (which is comparable to what I've done below).

#2 is almost certainly a mulberry (Morus), and they range from non-poisonous but blah to very tasty. Help your son find a book on native and naturalized plants and go through it to find the plants that are a treat and the ones to avoid. That way he can have fun discovering things, and you'll worry a lot less.

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/moal.html

#3 is likely a redbud (probably our native Cercis canadensis). Did it have magenta or pink flowers before the leaves, and/or are some of those seed pods growing right out of the trunk or larger branches? If so, redbud is a definite.

http://www.tva.gov/river/landandshore/stabilization/plants/redbud.htm

Right now, nothing's connecting really well to #1, so see if you can post a picture. Current wild guess is Ranunculus ficaria, which is a vicious weed. If you do a Google image search using that name, there are lots of pics - see if anything looks right.

Robin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here