Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help I need suggestions for ground cover in wet soil

Posted by walley 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 16:09

I have a problem with wet clay soil, in full sun in my back yard. I need something in the front of the boarder. At present I have Louisiana Irises, Monarda, Lobelia, day lilies, but need something low that flowers and likes it very moist. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help I need suggestions for ground cover in wet soil

Creeping Jenny is great, although the flowers aren't too thrilling. I like the yellowish green variety. Chameleon plant is great if you don't mind REALLY invasive.

o

I'll definitely second watergal on the creeping jenny -- and it is such a lovely plant, who cares if it ever flowers.

But the chameleon (houttuynia) is invasive even under dry conditions (I love invasives in general, and have some houttuynia in my rock garden) ~~ if kept moist, it turns into The Monster that Ate The Garden. After it finishes covering the flowerbed, it'll eat the lawn, too.

Rather than a groundcover, how about one of the dwarf grasses -- there's a carex that loves it wet

Pat

o

Mazus reptans has worked well for me in these conditions. It flowers purple or white ('alba') mostly in the spring, with some intermittent summer flowers. I actually have this mixed in with the yellow ('aurea') creeping jenny that watergal mentions above, so there is bright color even when there are no flowers. I think that Vinca minor, which also flowers in spring, would also do okay in your conditions. Both the creeping jenny and the vinca minor spread quickly, but are fairly easy to keep in check in my yard by pulling here and there. In a completely different vein (annual), I wonder if New Guinea impatiens -- i.e., the kind that like sun -- would mind wet feet; might be something to explore, if flowers rather than foliage is the main concern. Good luck.

o

Might try ceratostigma plumbaginoides. Fall flowering with red foliage color. I love it and it will do well in wet sunny sites.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here