Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no bloom on Siberian iris

Posted by sawreck 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 16:43

Last year (their first) they were gorgeous. This year all foilage and no bloom. Anybody got any clues?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no bloom on Siberian iris

Settling in? They were all happy in their pot,so they bloomed, now they have more room to grow roots, so they're working on that for a while. I take care of gardens, and I've noticced that most of the blooms on Siberians are toward themiddle of the clump, where they are more crowded.

o

Are they in the ground or in a pot?

They bloom sparsely in shade, much better in sun.

o

Mine didn't bloom this year either. Wonder if it was the weather?

o

I found the secret to the iris blooming.Pull the mulch away from the base of iris.Pull it back all around the plant and like to be crowded.It will bloom imediately.Mine are done blooming here.

o

Well, neither the ones in the sun nor the ones in the shade are blooming. There's no mulch around them. So right now, it sounds like the settling in or the weather hypotheses are fitting best. But they did bloom last year. Hmmm ...

Sandy

o

Beautiful Book, Mid Atlantic Gardening by Andre Viette. Enjoy , good Christmas Gift

o

The main problem for not blooming is too much mulch or soil on roots,Alot of roots are sticking out of ground o0n mine.pull some soil away see if they bloom.I did and within 2 days buds were up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here