Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Joe Pye Weed

cfmuehling
18 years ago

Hi all!

I have some JPW growing in too much shade.

Can I just dig it up and move it, or is it tempermental?

Christine

Comments (13)

• slubberdegulion
    18 years ago

I don't think you should have much trouble moving it, at least I haven't here. I'd say the standard old stuff "get as much root as you can, water it in well", but I don't think the watering in should be a problem!

I have had one or two sulk or not bloom until the next year when I've moved them around, but generally they snap back quickly. Sometimes bits of the roots will regrow "new" plants in the old spot too. Generally, I haven't dug mine up unless I've wanted to divide the clumps.

Good luck, hope it likes it's new home.
    Kent

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey thanks!
    I missed this answer, but I still want to move it.

Christine

• babywatson
    18 years ago

I've always wanted to grow this stuff, but doesn't it grow really tall?

• braspadya
    18 years ago

Babywatson:

There are several varieties of this plant that stay relatively short; one is named "Little Red". Have a look at the Plant Delights website. Here is a link:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/05363.html

Happy gardening,

Dan

• slubberdegulion
    18 years ago

What BraSpadya said. Also, even my "tall" ones aren't...they don't get as much water as they would like. And some don't get as much sun either. The lack of good light and or moisture also seems to slow down their spread. Or maybe it's the compacted clay... ; )

• lynnt
    18 years ago

This is another one that I seem to recall Tracey DiSabato-Aust says can be kept in check by clipping in early May, well before the flower buds have set -- you'll get shorter stems and later bloom that way. Or you can clip the ones in front and leave the back row intact for a succession of heights and bloomtimes.

Lynn

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

The current issue of Fine Gardening has an article by Tracey DiSabato-Aust about low maintenance, high impact plants and I am pretty sure that I saw Eupatorium 'Gateway' in her short list. I also recall that in "A Well Tended Perennial Garden" there is a picture where she cut back the Eupatorium stems toward the front such that it created a layered effect. Pretty cool.

I winter sowed some Eupatorium 'Gateway' seeds and I currently have 8 plants. Some of them are in the ground and the others are in pots waiting to take the place of some sunflowers. BTW, if you are driving through Reston I noticed a mass planting of Eupatorium in front of the Oracle building on Sunset Hills Road (just east of Reston Parkway).

- Brent

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

I think cutting back might be in order for all that family, just about. I've got a thoroughwort that is a good 7 ft tall, and really in the way, as it has leaned over into the tomato row (across the path, of course!). It's moving to a new location come either spring, or possibly even after bloom this fall.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

I just wanted to share a picture of my new Joe Pye Weed planting. The neighbor's privacy fence is about 6' tall so I would be ecstatic if these plants grew up to cover most of that. These plants were all started from seed this year and some have flower buds.

- Brent

• creatrix
    18 years ago

So Brent, have you begun saving containers for this winter yet?

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

You know I sowed around 25 containers last year and I ended up with more plants than I could really manage. I don't know how people can sow 100's or 1000's of containers. I will probably sow about the same number of containers this year, but far less seed. Lucky for me, my family goes through about 3 gallons of milk a week so I can stock up on milk jugs pretty quick. So the answer is, no, not yet.

- Brent

• comettose
    18 years ago

Hi All,

New to the Mid Atlantic forum. Living in So. MD.

JPW is tough and there are both tall and compact varieties. I have the species behind my pond and it is over 10' tall and had huge flower heads. Just recently I cut it back by about half, as it was going to seed and I didn't want it to drop seeds and almost spent flowers into my pond. It developed a lean from the big flower heads, after a very heavy rain storm, and being lazy about it, I didn't prop it up. It is now sending up tons of new growth.

Also on the backside of my pond I grow more compact varieties obtained from Niche Gardens in North Carolina (on a recent trip). They also have an on-line catalog if you want to buy any of the varieties they offer (tall to quite compact).

I find that it grows best in consistently moist, but well drained, rich soil. I have mostly clay soil and I mixed in generous amounts of composted manure at planting time. In addition is gets moisture from the pond, but is not in the pond. Full to partial sun for the biggest and brighest flower heads.

• oogy4plants
    18 years ago

Hi!
    I have extra JPW plants if anyone is interested. I have a taller (8') variety, Spotted JPW, and a shorter (6') variety, JPW 'Gateway'. I also have the related species white boneset which gets to about 5' tall. I won't be able to make the Oct. 15 plant swap, so contact we directly if you would like any of these and we'll figure out how to get them to you.

Thanks,
    Susan

Sponsored