Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Needed the rain but not the wind!

Posted by gemini_jim 7a MD (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 19:58

Well, after the nice steady rain softened up the soil, the wind came through and blew over my corn and sunflowers, which are about 2 ft high at this point. Nothing uprooted, but most of them are sitting at 45 degrees or lower! Oy!

The corn is in two 4X4 beds and the sunflowers in a row alongside, about 70 plants altogether. I guess I'll let them lie until tomorrow, then see how I might go about staking them up. How annoying!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Needed the rain but not the wind!

Ha!! Annoying is the six hour drive home from Dover to Laurel, that should have only taken 2 hours!! And a rained out race, so we get to do it all over again tomorrow. Hopefully we'll see some racing!! :) Christy

o
RE: Needed the rain but not the wind!

Sheesh!! No fun for either of you guys. We just had rain here in Bowie. Lots of steady soaking rain. All day. I thought I'd never say this but - thank goodness for the Pokemon cartoon marathon that ran all day...

Oh, and we had a mysterious explosion somewhere not far away this morning. It sounded like a dumpster being dropped from a height... very weird. Hubby thinks it might have been a propane tank exploding - we're almost directly west of the landfill but have never heard any noise from over there before.

Have a great day! Hope the plants come back okay.

Lynne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here