Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UGH! please advise...

Posted by jennamae 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 08 at 21:07

Well I was delighted to have the house painters come today to paint my house white, but am now frustrated because the overspray landed on my herb garden and left tiny paint dots, almost a dust, over all my basil etc.

I feel I need to replant all new herbs in the garden since I will not be comfortable eating these, especially since we are organic gardeners and I have a 2 year old...

Should I also take the top layer of soil off and replace that as well. I wish I would have thought to cover it up, but it seemed far enough away from the house....any advice is appreciated~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UGH! please advise...

I don't think this is as bad as you fear. Lead hasn't been used in paint for decades,so there's no fear of that. Plants would not absorb much of anything - it's the actual paint spots you need to worry about.

Most herbs can be cut back hard and will regrow. For long-lived perennials like sage, lavender, etc, that's what I'd do. This would also work with basil, but if it really worries you, you can replant it. You could also scrape off the top inch or so of soil - again you just need to get the actual paint spots.

I've been an organic gardener for more than 30 years, and this is what I'd do.

o
RE: UGH! please advise...

Thanks Annebert, That is precisely what I am doing. I bought all new herbs yesterday, $32.00 worth of comfort and scraped and replaced the top 3" of soil...

I appreciate your input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here