Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynneinmd

Astilbe - Full sun? part shade?

LynneinMD
16 years ago

I heard today that Astilbe needs to be in the shade but I have one in full sun that seems happy. Do I need to move the poor plant before it scorches or is it safe in the sun?? It is in a place that stays damp deep down, because of nearby rain runoff, so I don't think it will dry out.

?????

Lynne

Comments (11)

• spanaval
    16 years ago

If it's happy, leave it alone. I've moved plants to their ideal conditions (OMG, I didn't know it's not supposed to like it here), only to have them promptly croak on me. Let your plant tell you what it likes.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

I told you that, too, Lynne.
    We all have something in our gardens that is defying common "knowledge" of a plant. In your case, it might be the moisture.

Again, if it starts to burn or curl? Move it. If it hasn't in this horrible sun and heat? I think it's on steroids.

The thing that most likely won't change, is that astible need very rich soil, so a little horse poop each spring is a good idea,

Christine

• LynneinMD
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So you did, Christine, but my brain was FULL by the time we finished!! =)

I won't move it unless it gets cranky.

Thanks!!

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Although we are accustomed to seeing astilbe as a shade plant, I remember reading that the shade is only needed due to lack of sufficient water. Astilbe does best, I have read, with good sunlight but wet conditions, so it seems like you have placed it perfectly.

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

"because of nearby rain runoff.."

Where in Maryland has there been rain in the last 48 days?! Your astilbe must be sitting on an underground stream.

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

Wouldn't it be possible to place the plant where it would get full sun on say Monday, Wednesday and Friday and part-shade on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. That should make the little darling happy. Steve in Baltimore County

Anytime you say, you want me back again, thats the time I'll come back home to you.

• gardengrove_ac
    16 years ago

When I worked for a landscaping company we would plant Astilbe in full sun. Well established plants which can be watered regularly have no problem at all with full sun, but there is a MAJOR difference between full sun and baking sun. The amount of reflected, drying heat seems to be a very serious limiting factor. Places near paved services or graveled areas don't work too well in full sun.
    Peace,
    Nate

• watergal
    16 years ago

I used to try to grow astilbe in a shade border under trees. Then I tried some on the west side of the house where the soil is usually wet from downspout runoff. They love it, even though there is quite a bit of sun. And the soil isn't even very amended, pretty clayey, which actually holds the moisture in longer.

• mindysuewho
    16 years ago

I have astible in nearly full sun around our pond and it looks ok but the astilbe we have in shade in moist soil does better.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

Sooo...
    Yes, if it's happy don't move it, right? :)

I have dry shade, where it does well as long as I water it.
    I just moved a tiny, struggling 'Bridal Veil' from the dry shade to another dry shade, but under a 'Forest Pansy' redbud that's planted in a bunch of nice, compost mix. It skyrocketed into growth. I think the mat of maple roots had a lot to do with its retarded growth, but a 'Fanal' next to it was pretty frisky.

I'm glad to hear they can take sun, since that's what I have 99% of. The baking kind, unfortunately (thanks for that tip, Nate), but at least I run my soaker hoses constantly.

Lynne has a great place where her air conditioner drains into the garden, too. She can grow some gorgeous stuff in her very varied yard!

Christine

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz