Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My little cabbage heads are splitting!??

Posted by ididit MD Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 22:45

I've been eagerly watching my cabbages, waiting till the heads get some size on them before harvesting. The heads are now only big enough that I can circle them with the thumb and forefinger of both hands. Went to check on them this evening and they are splitting! Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Is there a way to prevent more splitting till they get a little bigger?
Thanks!
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My little cabbage heads are splitting!??

This is from Dick Raymond's "Joy of Gardening":

"Cabbage heads, like all vegetable heads, grow from the inside out. If yours start to crack, this probably means that the cabbages are growing too fast in the center. (This condition is frequently caused by heavy-handed fertilizing.) If you let the cracking continue, the head will split wide open and send up a seed stalk.
If you see a crack, hold the head and twist the whole plant halfway around, like turning a faucet. Don't be shy! Grab the plant and twist if halfway around. This breaks off many of the roots and that slows the inner top growth of the plant. Give the plant another quarter turn in a few days if the cracking contiues."

Disclaimer: I have NOT ever done this myself. I'm just forwarding it as strictly informational. Perhaps someone here who's actually performed this ritual can chime in. Personally, I'd be afraid of just ripping the whole cabbage head off.

o
RE: My little cabbage heads are splitting!??

Before reading the above post that is what I would have suggested. Don't know where I remember it from but I have done it. Surprisingly it didn't kill the cabbage plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here