Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardens to visit? Looking to see conifers, JM's, hosta, fall col

Posted by nikki717 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 23:21

Hi all!

I'm starting the gardens all around our (purchased last year) rancher-- almost from scratch as what's here now is a complete mess. Interested in planting mostly the things above-- a few interesting Japanese Maples, quite a few dwarf conifers, shrubs for fall color... I love hosta and coleus but we have tons of deer so can only really put those in the backyard where I have a lot less space. Still, I'd love to go visit some gardens where I can see any or all of these.

Any suggestions? I'm just outside of Baltimore and not looking to travel more than 1.5 hrs or so. We vacation in Deep Creek most years so anythng around there too..

Posted in conifer forum too. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardens to visit? Looking to see conifers, JM's, hosta, fall

Brookside Gardens, a Montgomery County park, has a lot of what you want and is a beautiful walking area. It's undergoing a pond reconstruction and parking lot renovation now, but check it out. They also have an associated woodland garden (azaleas, etc) in Bethesda MD.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brookside Gardens

o

Thanks, Shady! It's actually right at the top of my list. Apparently there's a grat nursery not too far from there, "Susanna's Nursery Farm", that specializes in dwarf conifers and JM's. I'm hoping I can visit both in one day. Have you been to it?

o

You can never go wrong with a trip up to Longwood, if you've got the time. Their exhibits are jaw-dropping any time of the year. Ladew Gardens in Monkton, Md is also nice, especially if you want to see some cool topiary. Lastly, my husband and I just day-tripped to Winchester, Va yesterday and visited the Museum of the Shenandoah... We were surprised to find some lovely, diverse and enchanting gardens on the grounds of the Glen Burnie House, which are adjacent to the grounds of the museum.

o

About 1.5 hours from Baltimore is Mt. Cuba Center in Hockessin, Delaware. Their focus is on native plants and their cultivars. Beautifully landscaped former DuPont family estate, extensive trial gardens. Obviously, they're not going to have the Japanese maples and hostas, but lots of inspiration for landscape plantings that are ideally suited to the environment in our region. They may also have some tips for co-existing with deer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt. Cuba Center

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here