Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renu_z7dc

What flowers/herbs can I plant in next 2 weeks

Renu_z7DC
18 years ago

I would like to plant some flowers/herbs from seeds that will last through the Fall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I went to Home Depot 2 weeks ago and they were out of seeds (they only had grass seeds). Am I out of luck or can I still find seeds in other stores? If I place an order with the mail order company, will it be too late to plant them?

Thanks

/R

Comments (4)

• creatrix
    18 years ago

Annuals-Marigolds, zinnias, ageratum and salvia (I like 'Victoria'). The dwarf zinnias might be faster. The problem will be keeping the seeds moist in the heat. And not having them wash away in a strong storm.

I saw some flower seeds in a local Ace Hardware yesterday. Didn't notice what kind. I would think the seed companies would be able to ship your order fairly quickly, since it's a slow time for seeds.

Just because it's not the best time doesn't mean it won't work!

• paste592
    18 years ago

The box and chain stores do things on a schedule that has little relation to conditions in your area -- just because they pull their seeds doesn't mean it's too late. Go to a locally owned nursery or garden center instead. They dispense advice and wisdom along with their products.

I'd look for seeds with a short germination time. With the soil warmed up a bit now, you may find them quick to germinate if given some protection from the sun's hottest rays.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

This is actually a great time of the year to start many plants from seeds. With the warm weather, they are likely to germinate very quickly. Your plants might not amount to much this year, but you can plant them out in the fall and have good sized plants next spring. I did this last year with some Daisies and Coreposis and they are now blooming in my garden. BTW, Coreposis 'Early Sunrise' is sure a blooming machine. I think that I started those seeds in mid July.

Every time I have been to Merrifield Garden Center they have had a decent supply of seeds, but it is definitely not too late to order via mail-order. Below is a link to the FAQ on the Winter Sowing forum.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Is there Spring and Summer Sowing? (seed lists included)

• barb_bronze
    18 years ago

I live in Tenleytown, and my Safeway has lots of Burpee seeds on sale for 20% off, so check out the flower department of your nearest chain grocery store.
    Johnson's down on Van Ness and Wisconsin also has lots of seeds left. I bought parsley and cilantro there last month.

You might want to call some of the True Value hardware stores to see if they have any left. There's one in Adams Morgan and one in Brookland.

I planted portulacas two weeks ago, and now I have thousands of babies coming up. I'm still sprouting morning glories to put in all the holes along my fence and hellstrip.

Sponsored