Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)

Posted by maple_man z7 DC (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 5:06

i am looking for a wholesale nursery that will sell seedlings in batches of -say fifty or one hundred. - bare root

The seedlings i need are only of Ginkgo. Got any ideas? It's for the purpose of Ginkgo hedges. I have one hedge, but now, others want one too. mine is about 1000 seedlings from local seed trees, but they are a very unreliable source.

A Ginkgo hedge is a very rare thing because it's hard to find enough cheep seedlings!

Please ask around about this. the old-timers may know of a wholesale nursery that sells ginkgo seedling by the hundreds.
PS: back-in-the-day, (1970s) someone would get a lot of (bonsai) club members to order together to get enough for a wholesale order of seedlings. but I don't remember the name of the nursery. thought it might be Hess in New Jersey, but can't find much of them on the net.

Anything you can find on this would be greatly appreciated. Please ask people about it!

maple_man

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)

Just curious if you ever found your source?

I lived in DC where at the Bicentennial, Japan gave DC a bunch of Ginko trees. They're planted on Corcoran Street, N.W. Now, I can't say they were planted anywhere else, but maybe. Unfortunately they were all female.

OMG.
The stench in the summer.
OMG.
Did I mention the goo on the sidewalks?
The tracking it all over the place!?

I'd love to see pics of your hedge. It sounds really lovely.
I just can't imagine if it were female....!

o
RE: Looking for nursery for Ginkgo seedlings (bareroot)

have not found a good source yet. still looking.

someday will pub. photos of the hedge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here