Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
watergal_gw

Japanese Beetle question

watergal
16 years ago

OK, the beetles have been very sparse in my yard this year. I'm wondering if others are having the same experience, maybe because of the drought?

Or is it the fact that I've been treating with Bayer Tree & Soil drench for the last several years? I got it on early enough this year, and I'm not seeing the beetles eating my hibiscus flowers or crepe myrtle or red maple like they usually do.

Comments (12)

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I don't think I've seen more than a dozen JBs this year. My Hibiscus Moscheuto are just starting to bloom and it's amazing to think I'll be able to enjoy the blossoms without damage. Have never noticed that they bothered crepe myrtle or acers though.

• lynn_d
    16 years ago

They must all be in W. PA because they have done a number on my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, Weeping Cherry tree, roses and morning glories. I finally resorted to spraying them, something I have not had to do for at least 6 years. They were heading to my cannas and had to be stopped.

• alfie_md6
    16 years ago

I had almost no Japanese beetles this year either. I never got the beetle bowl out once. I am not complaining!

• annebert
    16 years ago

I think there are much fewer this year. It probably goes back to what the conditions were for overwintering pupae. My guess is the cold winter did them in.

• kaffeina
    16 years ago

really? i was wondering if the lack of rain was the issue, i've only seen a couple and was wondering about it myself

• aka_peggy
    16 years ago

"My guess is the cold winter did them in."

Maybe the ones up in Maine are more cold hardy because the frigid winters there doesn't seem to affect their populations.

For me the numbers were down last year and again this year. My ag extension agent thinks it's the drought.

Whatever it is, I'm not complaining either!

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

That is amazing.
    I had to go outside and handpick them off my bushes and flowers by the handful for about a month.
    They are gone now thank heavens and maybe I will get to see a rose blooming without chew holes all over it.
    I'm a bit reluctant to put any chemicals on my grass.
    I have three cats that chew grass occasionally and sleep in it and I'm wondering if chemicals could make them sick if they ingested them? Maybe if they smell the chemicals they will instinctually stay away from eating the grass?

Bonnie

• julia3
    16 years ago

No japanese beetles to speak of here but my roses have been having problems with thrips because of the dry weather.

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    16 years ago

I have seen ONE, but my mother in central NY state has been plagued by them more than usual.

Something else I can't find has showed up to chew on my plants, though!

• gardengranma
    16 years ago

I think it's the drought.

• annebert
    16 years ago

Neem is a botanical spray that works on Japanese beetles and is quite safe - but it's also toxic to bees, so you have to be careful.

• shorebill
    16 years ago

Be thankful. I think they all came to my garden. They have be very heavy here, but late in coming. I am glad you didn't get many. Ours are thinning out now. It may be the drought.
    Happy Gardening,
    Bill

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022