Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silver78_gw

Where are the Japanese Beetles?

silver78
16 years ago

In my north eastern Montgomery county neighborhood the traps remain almost empty. Not even one replacement bag needed and the bags have been out for several days. My neighbors are having the same results.

What's happening in your area?

Comments (19)

• oscarthecat
    16 years ago

We send ours up to Carroll County. Steve in Japanese Beatleless Baltimore County.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I'm also in the Eastern part of Montgomery Co and I've seen very few. I normally don't get many in my yard but I haven't seen them anywhere. I'm not complaining : ) I didn't have a Catalpa worm infestation this year either but I have seen more fireflies than ever the past few nights. All in all I've have had very little insect damage this season but I've had a terrible time with the warm blooded critters, especially rabbits & deer.
    Karyn

• cynthia_gw
    16 years ago

I've saw a few in the yard this week-end. They were munching on white clematis. It seems a little early for them to be out full force.

• cfmuehling
    16 years ago

I read a while ago that dry summers slow down the beatles the next year. I have none yet, either, in northern PG county.

The rabbits, voles and moles, though, are wreaking havoc. I would think the moles would be starving by now, given the lack of beatle larvae, but evidently they could care less. Grrr...

Christine

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

You folks are lucky!!... I've had to spray all my trees with Sevin after ever rain. Them dang beetles are everywhere around me.

My neighbor didn't spray his trees and his cherry trees no longer have any leaves.

BTW, from what I've noticed, they seem to emerge from the ground from 12 noon to 1pm. Around those times, my yard is buzzing with JBs up here in Cecil Co.

• leslies
    16 years ago

No JBs in Western Loudoun, but Darlow's Enigma is now so tall that the flowers are above my head, so maybe I just can't seem them!

• riderup
    16 years ago

There have been almost no Japanese beetles in southern PG County either. Who's complaining?
    Eric

• avoirgold
    16 years ago

I've seen a few here. Eastern Howard County.

Jen

• julia3
    16 years ago

I'm in northeastern Montgomery County (Laytonsville-Olney area) and haven't seen any yet.

• watergal
    16 years ago

Steve, your dang Baltimore County beetles have been marked "return to sender" and sent back with interest. ;)

I'm in Carroll Co. and it's been light here too, so far, but the season's not over. I've been drenching my most cherished susceptible plants with Bayer Tree & Shrub for the last few years, and I handpicked a lot of beetles off last summer. I don't know if my efforts are paying off, or if it's just a light crop of beetles this year for whatever reason. But I'm thankful anyway!

• collectordi
    16 years ago

Where are they? In my yard. On the roses mostly but I saw a bunch on my Sensitive ferns and other stuff. Maybe they aren't quite as bad as last year but there are still plenty of them.

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

Well, the JB's have decreased in numbers but now these GIGANTIC green June bugs are popping up everywhere.

Thinking to myself... Gotta squish more bugs... Get a net, catch bug, squish between thumb and index finger.

• tiffanylovestogarden
    16 years ago

The beetles are in Spotsylvania in Va Ill send some up:)LOL

I have changed the bags three times -they started eating the peaches before i could get them all off the tree, I ate so many peaches this year. They were delicious neways any one know what you can put on your corn to keep them off or grapes. Seven dust works until it rains looking for some alternative, they dont even care about hort oil, continued to bread right in front of me.! and you know we have grub xed the yard for the last five years and have seen a decrease but not enough. God bless all they even ate all the four oclocks! Tiffany in VA

• tabassam
    16 years ago

I'm losing the battle here in Charles county. They have made skeletons out of my roses and now feasting on bee balm, cannas and anise hyssop. I hand pick mornings and evenings. The roses that are planted around the subdivisions are not touched. Why?
    Tabby

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

I've been hand picking them here in Baltimore County.
    I hate doing that, but I hate more seeing them devouring my roses and raspberry bushes, green bean leaves, and morning glories.
    There were a few at first and now I get half a baggie-ful in 2 days or so. They are disgusting.

Bonnie

• kubileya
    16 years ago

They're all in my yard... and *all* on my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick. If I go up and shake the tree ever so slightly, it rattles and buzzes with all the beetles hiding among the leaves. I've been hand picking and picking and picking...

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

If you don't mind some chems, Sevin works like a dream for a few days. It's a contact killer so it's best to spray when you see a bunch of JB's on your plant. You can then take joy in watching the drop within a few minutes.

• gardnwatch
    16 years ago

The JB's are almost all gone....yippee!!!!!
    Fewer and fewer each day.
    I'm putting the "skeleton leaves" in the compost bin.

Bonnie

• myloki
    16 years ago

They've all been hanging out at my house - stuffing themselves. Now that my roses are all nekkid, I figured it was a good time to prune. I can see the canes better now. Lemonade anyone?
    -Stephanie

Sponsored