Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall garden

Posted by caosesvida zone 7 del. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 7:44

Is it about time to start fall plants< or what would be good to start now? I will start my greens in august. and wondering if what would be a good time for broccoli, Brussel sprouts,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall garden

There is no good time for BROCCOLI ! Steve in Baltimore County

o

I would also like some pointers on Fall plantings. I've never tried and would like to this year. I believe August is when lettuce and other cool weather crops are started?

o

Hi,

I have been following this from the cooperative extension:
http://www.hgic.umd.edu/_media/documents/hg16_000.pdf

So far things are about right.

-Terri

o

thanks for the replies, if I find out more I will post them.

o

I grow cabbage, lettuce, greens, broccoli, beets, carrots and brussel sprouts in the fall. This is the time to start most of those seeds.

Be aware that cole crops...plants in the brassica family such as broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts etc can be a challenge to grow in the fall (in these parts) because of the cabbage moth and harlequin bugs. These pests can do a lot of damage quickly. Be prepared to cover your plants with row covers to protect them. Another solution against cabbage moth is BT. You can use a light dusting of Rotenone for the harlequin bug. Rotenone is very harmful to bees so only use it in the evening when bee activity is lowest. We need all the bees we can get in these times.

Also, check out the veg forum here at GW.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetable forum

o

Brussels sprouts have a much longer season than other fall crops - 90-100 days as opposed to 60 days. So I'd get cruising on them right now. I've been having good luck with Serenade (OMRI-approved bacterial-derived) on my brussesl and broccoli.

o

Hi Annebert, where did you find Serenade?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here