Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cecilia_md7a

MAGTAG 2007 is a month away!

cecilia_md7a
16 years ago

NOW I'm getting nervous. Time to refine some of our plans and figure out who's bringing what (besides tomatoes, of course).

Despite my successful 36.2 lb weight loss, I will handle the BLT bar, as I did last year. I may need some help with extra tomatoes (Greg?) since I'm not sure what my harvest will be like by that point. Things have not been going that great, with the drought. Thank goodness we got some rain last night in my neighborhood. I'll see if I can convince DH (Dave) to man the grill again.

I also have plenty of party plates, cups, napkins, utensils, etc. from various "cooking club" events I've been involved in over the past year. We'll probably need more plastic plates for the actual tomato varieties (and lots of Sharpies!)

I will bring some vino for those of us who aren't teetotalers but aren't into homebrew, either.

Kim - whose Olena Ukrainian won the prize for largest tomato last year - emailed me a while ago and asked whether we should try the method of judging used by the South East Tomato Fest folks - they have a really nice scorecard that Morgan Feldon created it in Adobe Illustrator, that he said we can edit for MAGTAG. I've saved the file in PDF format in case anybody would like to view it - just email me.

OK, so what other brilliant ideas does everybody have, and what do you plan to bring along this year (besides tomatoes)?

Comments (10)

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Hi Cecilia,

Steve and I will bring plastic plates and sharpies. What time is set up?

Trudi

• tomatoes4ever
    16 years ago

Hi

I'm definately coming and I'm very excited.

This is my first year growing tomatoes and I started very late, made lots of mistakes, and was hit by blossom drop. So I'm not sure what tomatoes I'll have to bring with me. I'm sure I'll at least be able to bring Matina, but don't know what else.

I don't know what I should bring food/utensil wise, but will gladly bring what I'm told. I'm thinking brownies or cookies, or maybe plates.

Yay!

• giverny
    16 years ago

Hi Cecilia,

Congratulations on the weight loss, that's great. Unfortunately re weight, I'm moving in the opposite direction you are!!

So what exactly is the MAGTAG? Does everyone bring different varieties of tomatoes? I eat them, but don't grow them -- not enough sun. Sounds like you also have various contests?

Hope you're having a good summer in spite of the drought.

Mea

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mea, MAGTAG stands for Mid-Atlantic Tomato Gardeners Appreciation Gathering. This will be the second annual one, held on Saturday, August 25 at Southwest Area Park in Baltimore Highlands, MD (same location as last year). The festival includes a tomato tasting contest (In 2006 there were 82 different varieties), beer, wine, and soft drinks, grilled food (there are 4 grills at the pavilion), and a BLT bar. Anyone can attend and either bring homegrown tomatoes or a tomato-related dish (tomatoes used in the food do not have to be homegrown). We had about 35 attendees for the first MAGTAG, from NY, NJ, VA, and WV, as well as MD.

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've posted detailed directions to the park on the Exchanges board.

Here is a link that might be useful: Detailed Directions to MAGTAG 2007

• pumpkinhead1961
    16 years ago

I look forward to attending this year. I was late getting my tomatoes out, and some of them didn't make it. The varieties I have left are doing well, and I expect to have fruit from most of them (the cherry-types, anyway) in time for MAGTAG. I'd also like to bring a side dish of some sort, so if you have anything in particular in mind, please let me know.
    John

• manure_queen
    16 years ago

Cecilia
    Please contact me. I have some seeds to share that I shall not be planting again. Will be in Michigan the 25th. so would like to mail them to you.
    Mary
    mgsterrett at verizon dot net

• annebert
    16 years ago

I'll report as we get closer, but I should have some BLT bar tomatoes. My Brandywine are great this year, also have Stump of the World and Olena Ukrainian coming along, plus what I said were Cherokee Green, but aren't exactly. I saved seeds from one fruit from last year's MAGTAG, and I think they must have crossed. They are tasty, and fluorescent green inside, but have a yellowish cast to the skin that's quite unappetizing. Is that what you're finding Cecilia?

Do we really need anything other than tomatoes and brownies?

• cecilia_md7a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mary, I sent you an email. Anne, no, my Cherokee Non-Green are reddish-orange with green shoulders. In fact, I think they may be Stupice - that's what they look (and taste) like. Will have to check the leaves to see whether they're potato or regular.

• gflynn
    16 years ago

Tomato Folk,

My tomatoes are doing well and I should have many ripening over the next 2 weeks. Some of my earlies may be done by then but we will see!

I have plenty of Earl's Faux and Dr. Lyle. I got a Berkley's Tye Dye from Dunkel and it was filling up with tomatoes but then the plant just wilted! Some of the toms may still ripen though.

My Cherokee Green has great foliage but the tomatoes are all small. It think its the salt in the soil by the road. Anyway I will have lots of tomatoes this year and I am looking forward to our shin-dig!

Greg

Sponsored