Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geedavey

mealybugs in garden

GeeDavey
18 years ago

I've got mealybugs that are widespread throughout my garden, although each infestation seems moderate.

What would you do about this if it were your garden? Will they overwinter and return? If they won't return then I'm inclined to leave them or just do horticultural oil.

Comments (7)

• madsquopper
    18 years ago

We've got a lot more than normal, also. I'll monitor them and if it doesn't get worse will wait it out. Probably use the oil eventually, just in case. If things get really bad I'd have to resort to a systemic.

Larry

• happygardnr
    18 years ago

I have mealy bugs all over my gardens. Last year they were mainly on oriental lilies, so I removed them with Alcohol on a Q-Tip. There are too many this year to do anything but spray, so I used Orthene systemic for insects. Don't know if I got everything, so will respray any mealy bugs I see this week. Good luck getting rid of your mealy bugs.

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any mealy bugs, but what I have seen, in large quantities, are psyllids - think mealy bugs that fly/jump. Any special reason? I've never noticed them before except on the occasional shrub, and now they're on strawberries, geraniums, figs, you name it . . .

• GeeDavey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Does anyone know if they overwinter? If I do nothing, will it be worse next year?

The rains helped clean-up a bit although there are still many around. I'd rather do nothing and hope this was an unusual year. Is that a naieve idea?

• gardengranma
    18 years ago

You can also try spraying rubbing alcohol from close up, neem oil, and allseason horticultural oil.

• gardenpaws_VA
    18 years ago

If this helps . . .
    I've been trying to research these, and my best guess is that they are boxwood psyllids, which are whitish as adults (unlike many psyllids). The nymphs, which are the fuzziest, are apparently quite active, unlike mealy bugs.
    The other (less likely) option that seems to have a similar appearance is a planthopper. The only other psyllid that is somewhat fuzzy in all stages is the cottony psyllid, which seems to be specific to ash trees and a more northern critter (I hope).
    Recommendations I've seen for control include systemic insecticides and neem oil, though many references simply say they're very hard to control. Horticultural oil is apparently not a big success. On the other hand, they don't seem to cause a lot of trouble outside of a commercial nursery situation.
    Since my garden is very much 'edible landscaping', my choice is to squash them with my fingers whenever I see them, and try to keep the plants as healthy as possible otherwise. (The bugs are actually much easier to sneak up on than one would think - I get about half the population of each cluster I go after.)

• dtroagun_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Do these things jump off the plant as you get closer to them?
    Is alcohol the best way to rid of these pests?