Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avoirgold

Butterflies

avoirgold
15 years ago

Is anyone else low on butterflies this year? My butterfly bushes are in full bloom, but no action. Last year, the bushes were so alive with butterflies that I couldn't count them all. This year, I have a couple of small white ones and a couple of small burnt orange one. That is it!! So is it just me?

Jen

Comments (15)

• winnie850
    15 years ago

Hi Jen,
    I am glad you posted this question. I noticed this as well and I thought it was just mine. Earlier this season, I saw some hummingbird moths and a few yellow butterflies. Now, there is nothing. My zinnias should be blooming soon and the butterflies have liked them in the past.

• User
    15 years ago

I was just getting ready to post the same question. I noticed last year that they were kind of late, but they did finally show up in good numbers by mid July. So far this year, I've seen only on one, last evening, but none today. I'm in north central Maryland.

What has happened?

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wish it was just me. Not good if it is wide-spread. BTW, I am in Columbia. Does anyone know why? Kim any ideas?

Jen

• collectordi
    15 years ago

Hmmm, now that I think about I've hardly seen any either. Also haven't seen hummingbirds much this year.

• gardengranma
    15 years ago

I have the usual number of humming birds, but the butterflies just got started, one monarch, several swallow tails, and some painted ladies, but very few. I think when there is a lot of construction (destruction of habitat) on their way up it takes a couple of years for them to figure out a new sustaining route. I had almost none last year, this year looks just a tad better.

• madsquopper
    15 years ago

Hummingbirds are OK but butterflies have been low. I've seen a lot more over the past couple of weeks. Cabbage whites seem to be dominant but there have been others, also. Bees were very sparse early on but those have picked up lately.

Snakes are definitely up this year.

Larry

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I too, am seeing few butterflies this year. Maybe it is early?

Also, I redesigned a few big beds this year so many plants are small divisions, not having a big bloom.

Have not had many japanese beetles.

Every year I vow to keep a journal - and don't.

• zebz
    15 years ago

Today was the first time this year I've even seen a tiger swallowtail. Have seen a few black swallowtails but no where near as many as usual. Cabbage whites are the most abundant. Earlier in the spring we actually had the most spring azures I've ever seen here. No monarchs yet. Fritillaries have been totally absent so far. All in all, far fewer b'flies than usual.

zee

• chrismd
    15 years ago

Last year we had tons of tiger swallowtails on joe pye-weed. This year so far very few.

I think the weather swings (excessively wet, then excessively dry) are affecting the caterpillars. We have not had significant rain here in Rockville since about July 4th. By significant, I mean enough to dampen the ground. Digging in my vegetable garden, the ground is dry ten inches down.

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

There were three tiger swallowtails on my one small joepyeweed plant yesterday, in addition to about four million bees. But it's true that there haven't been very many this year. Not even cabbage whites. I suspect it's the weather, too -- in fact, possibly even last year's drought.

• User
    15 years ago

Finally, the butterflies are here, but very late this year. I have some yellow and some black swallowtails on my butterfly bushes. I did notice some monarchs in downtown Baltimore this morning, too.

• LynneinMD
    15 years ago

I have had lots of butterflies lately, including several monarchs. The sedum/stonecrop is getting ready to bloom and that's when I notice them most. There are tons of bees on a plant that I can't remember the name of, but it smells like anise/licorice.

Larry, the bronze fennel you gave me last year is doing enormously well, and someone pointed out butterfly eggs on it for me the other day. (She knows much more about flutterbys than I do)

Sorry, not much useful information but the population in my yard seems about the same as last year.

Lynne in Bowie

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yep, mine finally arrived too. Don't you hate it when company is late for a meal. ;-)

Jen

• busyasabee
    15 years ago

A black swallowtail visiting my butterfly bush on August 31, 2008.

• rian
    15 years ago

Our local cardinals seem to have developed a taste for caterpillars. I was surprised to find that up to a third of their diet in the summer is insects including moth and butterfly larvae (wish they'd eat more mosquitoes.) They cleared out all my anise plants early on and I've only seen one black swallowtail this summer.