Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpayne68_gw

Assistance digging up hill

cpayne68
18 years ago

Not sure if this is the correct forum so if it is not please forgive me and point me to the right location.

We have two fairly large hills in our front yard. I'm looking to find someone to dig up all of the existing, grass, weeds, plants, etc. and haul it away so we can start over. Anyone have any ideas how I could go about finding someone to do the job. Most landscape companies don't want the job as it is too small since we don't want them to plant the new plants.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

• cpayne68
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot to mention that we live in Kensington, MD.

• laine713
    18 years ago

When do you plan on planting it? If it is next year, I would do a lasagna style bed on the hills. It save the back and wallet. Check out the Soil Forum for more information.

• creatrix
    18 years ago

See if you can catch a crew, or a guy, mowing lawns and ask them. Check the want ads under 'services'. If your paper lists new business licences, maybe someone just getting started wouldn't think the job was too small.

Are you going to spread new topsoil?

Most of your decent soil will probably leave with the grass and weeds. It might be better to do the lasagna thing, or just cover the area with black plastic until everything dies. The remove the plastic before planting.

• braspadya
    18 years ago

Hello:

I also live in Kensington, near Homewood Park.

One suggestion is to try to hire day laborers. I believe that there are some of these folks who wait for work in Wheaton, near the intersection of University & Veirs Mill. I have never done this, but my neighbor has. Speaking a bit of Spanish might be helpful.

If you need, I can contact my neighbor & get more details about how much it cost him to hire some help.

Cheers,

Dan

• lynnt
    18 years ago

CASA of Maryland has an office on University Blvd just East of Flower Ave where you can hire day laborers for $10-$12/hr. This is more than mimimum wage, but CASA vets them to a certain extent and you can ask for specific skills (I ask for workers that speak English or French and who are willing to take orders from a woman -- not all will -- in addition to any particular skills I need that day). The office is open 7 AM - noon Mon-Fri, and workers often are available there freelance on weekends. It's negotiable whether you pay them for transit time (it's rare for them to have cars, so you'll need to bring your workers back to CASA at the end of the day) or lunch arrangements. I usually provide a range of soft drinks and cold water in addition to a simple lunch.

If you put the pulled-up weeds into black plastic bags with a cup or so of high-nitrogen fertilizer and a coffee-can's worth of topsoil, then seal them and sit them in the sun, the contents will ferment into decent compost in a few weeks. They'll get hot enough to cook most weed seeds. Easier than hauling them off somewhere, but doesn't work well for woody stuff.

Lynn

Sponsored