Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theoriginalannebert

Time to talk about the fall swap

annebert
15 years ago

Where and when?

I'd vote for a week or two after Labor Day.

The Montgomery County park where we met last year was fine with me.

Comments (18)

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

Do we want to do this one on Sunday for those who can never make the swaps because they are on Saturday?

I am good for the first half of Sept., but will have to travel for work sometime during the second half.

Also, if we decide to use the park, maybe we could chip-in and rent a pavilion. Last year was good, but a bit of shade and someplace to eat would have been nice too.

Just my 2 cents.

Jen

• busyasabee
    15 years ago

I liked last year's location, Black Hill Regional Park in Boyds, MD, unless someone else can think of another locale. In prior years we use to hold it at SSFS in Olney, but that was courtesy of Prof Dirt........

As for the date, either Saturday, September 13th or September 20th works for me.

Any other suggestions?

• manure_queen
    15 years ago

I agree with Jen, we should consider a Sunday swap.
    Mary

• manure_queen
    15 years ago

its me again
    I do not have any problem

hosting the fall swap. I am in Temple Hills not too far from AndrewsAFB
    I am not available the weekend of Sept 19, but any other time is fine for me.. I realize that I am not convenient for the Northern folks but I am closer than Aquasco
    I am willing to do a Sunday swap if there is enough interest but am flexible

Mary

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Oh! Yes! Another vote for holding the swap at Black Hill Regional Park in Boyds, MD, again! I promise that this time I will come, instead of ditching at the last minute.

September 20 does not work for me.

Traditionally* the fall swap has been at the beginning of October.

*This tradition goes all the way back to, let's see, the fall of 2001, in Temple Hills?

• annebert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How about Sept 27 or 28, then?

• nancymd2
    15 years ago

The 28th would be Sunday-- it would be nice to change this up a bit to get those that cannot make it on Saturdays. I also vote for Black Hills.

Have some pollia japonica seedlings itching for new homes....despite the mosquitoes, this wet summer should be good for an abundant fall swap..

• aliceinvirginia
    15 years ago

Do many people swap equipment and seeds? Or just propagated landscape cuttings? What about excess produce (no zucchini please)?

Temple Hills would be best for me.

Does Virginia count as southeastern or mid-atlantic? or it depends on which part?

I'm new here (and new to gardening) so I'm still figuring things out.

• tvalenti
    15 years ago

Would love to have the swap closer to the beginning-middle of September when the temps cool off a bit but plants still have a while to get adjusted before frost. Either sat or sundays are good.

• oogy4plants
    15 years ago

Black Hill Park is good for me and there are shelters available- maybe we could get one of those for shade and picnicking.

Sat or Sunday is fine with me but I'm hoping to go on vacation one of those weeks, so let's decide soon, so I can plan to be at the swap. How about Sep. 20 or 21?

(p.s. if anyone has extra creeping thyme I'd really like to get some now and can't find it at any of the nurseries).

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

Though, I will go to any location. I definitely can't make 9/20, 21, or 27, probably not 9/28 either.

Sooooo....Sept. 14 @ Black Hill Park? That sounds fine to me. How does that sound? Any volunteers for looking into reserving a shelter?

Jen

• gemini_jim
    15 years ago

aliceinvirginia, there's no hard boundary, but I'd say if you're close to DC you definitely qualify as Mid-Atlantic. I know there will be seeds exchanged at the swap, and if you have/want equipment or produce I'm sure there will be interest, so list it in the exchange forum, or just bring it!

I don't know if I'll be able to make it this year because I'm working weekends in the fall. Oh well, we'll see...

• collectordi
    15 years ago

I vote for Black Hills also and Sept.14 or earlier would be good to give the new plants time to settle in before frost.

• gardnwatch
    15 years ago

Black Hills on Sept 14th is fine with me also.

Bonnie

• chrismd
    15 years ago

I vote for zucchini!

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Nobody will have any zucchini anymore by September anyway, ChrisMD. I mean, really. :-)

So are we certain for Sunday, September 14, at 10 am (ish) at Black Hill Regional Park in Boyds, Maryland? I can be Grand Poobah of the Swap if somebody will set up the haves, wants, and food threads.

• avoirgold
    15 years ago

OK Alfie, you're it!!! :-) The lists are posted at the following locations

HAVES
    WANTS
    FOOD & STUFF

Jen

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

Woo hoo!

Sponsored