Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avoirgold

Roadside Trees?

avoirgold
17 years ago

Could someone please tell me the name of the tree I am seeing alongside the road that is currently blooming with a flower that is pinkish on the end and more cream toward the throat. It looks like a "fuzzy" flower, not petals. I think it is very cool!

Thanks so much! Sorry for the nontechnical terminology. I am still learning all the proper names. :-)

Jen

Comments (6)

• bogturtle
    17 years ago

Is it to early for Albizzia julibrissin? I probably mispelled the name. It meets your description

• avoirgold
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I looked up some pix, and that is it! Really pretty. Thank you!!!

• annebert
    17 years ago

I love seeing these. When I traveled in Botswana, I saw a young San woman wearing one in her hair. When I moved to Maryland and realized that they grow here, I was thrilled!

• aka_peggy
    17 years ago

Well I hates to be a party pooper:) But if you have one mimosa you'll have 500 unless you're diligent about pulling the seedlings. I have one that came with my house and I love it understand....but it reseeds to the point of being a nuisance. They grow approximately 10' per yr. I cut mine down 4 yrs ago because it was growing up against my neighbors fence. It re-sprouted and the "new" trunk began to grow several feet from the fence. Cool I thought...Now it's about 25' and I find seedlings growing everywhere. I've pruned it too...I wish there was a sterile mimosa...oh I wish.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    17 years ago

Albizia julibrissin (Mimosa) shows up on the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation's Invasive Alien Plant Species of Virginia list in the "Moderately Invasive Species" category (document linked below). You will notice that the trees will be loaded with seedpods in a few weeks.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive Alien Plant Species of Virginia (PDF)

• gardener_sandy
    17 years ago

I think they are beautiful but mimosas are a pain in the yard. They are the absolute last to leaf out in the spring, come up in any spot of fertile ground the seeds find, and are the absolute last to drop their dead leaves in the fall. They are also usually short lived. I have one and wouldn't want to be without it but these things need to be considered if choosing a tree for the landscape. (The blooms smell heavenly, too, but you have to get your nose in them to appreciate the scent!)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH