Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faerieannette

OH NO Verizon has destroyed my garden!!!

faerieannette
17 years ago

Well after droping my daughter off at Bellet camp I came home to see a 4 ft by 4 ft hole in may garden they are out there now. it looks as though it is 5 ft deep so far. On of them is in it with a machine that looks sort of like a muffled jack hammer. My Oriental Lilies are gone! My tiny helebore seedlings! gone or trampled! my toad lilly... who knows what else they are still out there. I went over to ask what they are doing and the one who spoke the best english asked me if I where familular with the project. He told me that it was verizon and that they are putting in "one of those over here too" he pointed at a big huge cement box with a lid! gasp! I am going to have a pad of cement where my lillies were! I tried to ask him if the thick wires he had rolled our and all about were going to be fed through there or where they would go . He didnt understand me so I dotn know what is going on. :-( I am not even sure if I will be permitted to dig around there any more if there are going to be wires everywhere. ge thanks verizon the only reason I go online is to research thing for my garden!

my lillies my Oriental Lily Muscadets! they did leave the foxgloves right next to them but they were done anyway.

well maybe after they are gone I can poke around and try to find the bulbs...

Comments (4)

• DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
    17 years ago

When Verizon invaded Fairfax County, VA last year, the contractor digging the properties was supposed to put hangtags at each house with a contact telephone number to log complaints. Our street got them, but I don't think distribution was universal. See if some of your neighbors got one, and call Verizon and/or your municipality to get this information. Soon you will have Verizon salespeople at your door daily. They will all assure you that any plants lost will be replaced after you notify the contractor, so you may be able to get the number from them.

Some of my neighbors did get replacements or have disturbed soil seeded or mulched. My worry was that the 4-foot hole was right next to my star magnolia, which may die from root disturbance some time later. So far it's ok, though.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington Post article re Fairfax problems

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

They came through our area, too, last year. I have to tell you, though, they dug underneath my entire 200 feet of roadside garden and put the grass back so well at first I didn't notice.

They also put those hand tag things on our doors. I do have probably a 2x4' cement thing in my garden, too, but it's on the edge by the road, thank goodness. I garden around mine, but I've definately made it easy for them to get in and out. A few stepping stones make a path and I keep it swept clear of mulch. So far, the contractors who have come through have been really considerate. I hope it lasts!

Annette, I'm so very sorry this has happened. Your garden was looking so pretty earlier this year!!!

lakedweller is correct about Verizon. Not that they give a @#$! about us, but the bad PR has hurt them. If you happen to have receipts or can get a note from a garden center as to their value, push Verizon for reimbursement. They'll never replace the wonderful feeling we have putting in our new little plants and watching them take root, but at least it'll be an annoyance for a company who doesn't need to give a d@mn about anything but corporate clients.

As you said, though, with any luck next year you'll have things springing up in odd places. Just don't weed them!!!

hmmmm did I get on a rant?

I'm so sorry you had to come home to find this. I know you were just sick when you saw it.

Christine

• leslies
    17 years ago

Who needs fiber optic cable when there's WiFi? Is this technology already obsolete?

• cfmuehling
    17 years ago

That's helpful....

Some of us actually live where
    1) there is no WiFi within range
    2) there is no cable company
    3) there is no sewer or gas
    4) phone lines are so old the dangle in your gardens and the fastest connection to be had runs about 14400 baud -- if you're lucky.

Remember not everyone lives within range or heavy population and its ammenities, nor do those who do necessarily understand them.

Christine